2016 European pear variety observations

Yes tbose are Duchess D’ Angoulme but as you know they are not completely ripe yet ( Im saying that for the sake of others reading this). Mine are still hanging on the trees.

1 Like

Clark,
I must admit many of Euro pears look the same to me. These Duchess look like Kieffer to me.

These Duchess fell off when I lifted them at 90 degree. Same with Fondante.

1 Like

@mamuang
Yes they will need to ripen inside awhile. They look like Duchess D’ Angoulme by the pictures like those shown on this thread Largest / Best tasting pear

You did better than I did, the crows took a real liking to mine and I got nothing. It was an off year anyway though, not many pears.

2 Likes

Scott,
How long you usually put them in the fridge. I usually lost track of the time. I try to keep a better record but so far, have not been too good.

Several of my E pears set fruit for the first time this year (it was an off year for Asian pears).
I have one small branch each of several Euro pear varieties on Blake’s Pride. Too many groundhogs, opossums, raccoon and squirrels this year. They stole my pears left and right.

Usually two weeks is about right. But a bit more usually does not hurt.

1 Like

It was an off year for pears here in Georgia as well. I got about three five gallon buckets full from all my trees combined this year.

Judging from the buds that are setting, next year should be pretty good if we avoid a hard late frost and whatever other gardening disaster.