2017 Grafting Thread

The same it was for me last year. Cherry grafts died on Nadia.

There is hope. Some grafts sit dormant for months and then suddenly come alive. Various scions cut from the same plant can stay dormant for significantly different periods of time.

1 Like

This season I coated all my scions w/wax (@Barkslip) a day before grafting. Then put them back in the 'frig. Did mainly cleft grafts (‘in the field’) and IMHO this was so much easier than wrapping w/parafilm.
Almond…

C. Apricot on Myro29c (thanks @tomIL)

Schizandra (Eastern Prince) onto my dioecious variety (thanks @Drew51)

7 Likes

How did you coat them in wax? Hey cool about the Schizandra! Now too you’ll have another source of pollen, besides Eastern Prince being self fertile… Mine looks great as usual, easy plant! I’m going to try an air layer this year.

1 Like

Plum and pluots grafts thrive on Nadia

It was mentioned here.

And a pic of my setup is here

It is best for the scions to be dry so I’ll take them out of the 'frig, let them come to room temp and dry off the condensation before waxing. Ow the wax won’t stick as well. If the wax pops off, I’ll just parafilm ‘in situ’. :blush:

Perfect timing. I’m planning on adding my technique in “tip of the day” in a day or two.

1 Like

@JustAnne4 Quick dip is what you’re looking to do (once or twice at the most - I dip twice often but quickly) That looks like a lot of wax on pics 2 and 3. Pic 1 looks right.

I can’t tell you if there is such a thing as too much but I’ll bet there is.

Dax

1 Like

I did some grafting today, here are the stone fruit grafts for this year.

Here is ornamental weeping cherry on nanking, just an experiment.

This is an interesting one, Juliet on Juliet, yep, always read the label before you graft.

Here is carmine jewel on Juliet

Carmine jewel and Juliet on nanking.

Contender on seedling.

My unknown peach on seedling.

Amadiocot on manchurian

And orangered on manchurian

9 Likes

Love the tutoring we get here :blush:
I think I dipped these 2X. When I pull them out I hold them up-side-down so any liquid wax tends to cover the bottom (actually the outer tip of the scion) more thickly. This is my 3rd or 4th time doing it, so I’m still getting the hang of it. I should probably just shake that excess wax off instead of letting it dry at the tip.

3 Likes

HA! Been there, done that. Nice knowing I’m not the only one foolish enough to do silly things like that… :smile: I also love when people use a background for photos like you did with the cardboard. Nice looking grafts, too. What is the sealer you used on tips and edge of tapes?

1 Like

The red is baby bell cheese wax. I also painted the scion with elmers glue and water

Anyone grafting mulberry yet and what zone ? I am zone 5 and getting anxious . Buds breaking on the wild mulberry here .

2 Likes

Has anyone sprayed grafts with that black spray can stuff?

Here’s what I did to a friend’s old pear tree that produces hard pears he does not like. Phase one of three year makeover. These bark grafts are Potomac pear. I also did whip and tongue grafts of Magness, Vavilov, Moonglow on many small trunk sprouts.

6 Likes

I think I could graft mulberry here as Missouri zone 6

That’s what I used as sealer on my first ever first year grafting. It worked well. I had seen it on a grafting vid. It can be messy. I had the two lower buds on cleft graft scions leaf out through it. Everything had been wrapped in parafilm and then the top of the graft sprayed with the pruning sealer.

Katy

3 Likes

It all seems to be messy!

But my concern is not to injure the scions with evil chemical

I grafted mulberry a while ago. It stays alive but does not grow much. The buds on the rootstock just started to wakeup. Based on the rootstock I think it’ll start to grow soon.

2 Likes

Pear grafts grow like crazy.

Apples grafted at different times are growing at about the same rate the later grafted ones are catching with the early grafted. This is Beacon apple graft.

Europlum grafted early March before the hard freeze.

And the euros grafted at the fourth week of March are quickly catching up. This is one of mirabelles plums.

Peach grafts started to show green tips. These were grafted at the third week of March and they had their share of the cold weather and several frosts at night.

10 Likes