2017 Grafting Thread

Olympic Asian Pear on OHxF87 rootstock

3 Likes

@Susu, we have temperatures in 50-60s with occasional deeps in 70s or 40s. I was successful in grafting peaches at this weather last year. I liked the early grafting more than the late one. You do not need to worry about weather being too hot or dry and about your grafts waking up or drying or molding in refrigerator. I am not an expert in grafting peaches, I learn on my own mistakes and failures. My idea is when the rootstock have green buds or flowers it is actively growing and ready to graft.

1 Like

What are those pink clips for at the base of your trees?

Some may look at the Zenport ZJ68 grafting tool on Amazon. It’s a lighter weight replica of what I have. Mixed reviews. I’d bet it’s a decent tool. Replacement blades are about 15$. My replacement blades are 80$. The Zenport ZJ68 is 70 bucks whereas my Fieldcraft Topgrafter is a 450$ tool. In the process I came across a website selling the Zenport ZJ68 for 31 bucks today. Don’t buy from that website. Thanks to @Paul for a heads up!

Dax

EDIT: FRAUDULENT WEBSITE: I’m keeping the post up so no-one buys from it.
http://www.banggood.com/Aluminum-Alloy-V-Cut-Grafting-Tool-29-cm-Clean-Cut-Grafting-Tool-p-1120598.html?rmmds=search

I bought this one several years ago but used it very little

The knife was somewhat dull and you just cannot make the cut on thin scionwood that you usually get from others.
On top of that several months later I received a call from my bank asking if I bought anything from banggood.com, They told me I need to replace my card cause supposedly there was some kind of breach or maybe someone tried to withdraw money from my account. I haven’t bought anything from them ever since and prefer Aliexpress which has been great.

Interestingly enough there is a chip budding tool that creates a perfect chip and notch on both the scion and the understock. I can’t find the link to it any longer but I think they were American made and very expensive.

@speedster1
Probably the company Scionon

They got some funky ‘Edward Scissorhands’ tools.

Dax

Just spent a 1/2 hour on that website…they have some AMAZING tools (if you can afford them). Cool stuff- thanks.

1 Like

Those guys at Dave Wilson Nursery say ahhhhh foooey to tools. The 3:24 minute mark you see them budding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzsgV3SsFbo

Dax

2 Likes

That blows my mind. That guy was so fast that I couldn’t even figure out what he was doing before he was done!!! Wow. It took him about 5 seconds. Last chip bud I tried- which failed by the way- took me about 10 minutes! haha.

1 Like

haha :smile:

You need a Scionon then…

:laughing:
Dax

1 Like

Seriously. Like to see that in slo mo. Bet he does it in his sleep.
Encouraging that such a small piece of wood makes so much growth in a season.

1 Like

Whoa. I’ll Edit my post. Thanks, @Paul.

Dax

You can change the settings on the video to .25 speed.

1 Like

Here is a hare-brained grafting idea:

I’d like to plant some grapes, but I think the spot I have to plant them in is too wet for your usual grape cultivars.

Could I acquire some of the the nearest Vitis riparia cuttings and root those with a scion grafted to them?

Has anyone tried something so hare-brained? I figure this would get past the rootstock bleeding problem for grape grafting.

Don’t know anything about grapes, but do have to say that it’s refreshing to see “hare” (as in rabbit) instead of “hair” …

:-)M

5 Likes

Grafting clips. They help hold the graft tightly together.

1 Like

I thought those were only for tomatoes and other tender stem plants. I didn’t think they’d be as strong as tightly wrapped tape but it looks like they are working for you!

I think you are right, they are for tomatoes. We have had more success using these vs not using these.

1 Like

That kind of time lapse is awesome, & that dude bud grafting is as as awesome as that guy in the green sweater in the other bench grafting video!