2018 berry plant progress and harvest report

This one decided to grow real big in my backyard, an Albion.

8 Likes

My first ripe morus nigra. Persian Black and I think Black Beauty. Winners.

6 Likes

That is really big!!!

Latest pics of the UA blackberry run. Looks good after some recent mulching.

Freedom, about 3ft, but has really bushed out, like the others. Hope we can get a few primocane berries off it later in the season.

Osage, about 2ft

Ouachita, about 3ft, with lots of suckers off the crown

Traveler, about 2ft, less vigorous than the others, but still doing well.

7 Likes

Looks really good, Bob!

1 Like

Thanks. They haven’t put on a lot of vertical growth, but they really seem to have put out the crown suckers. My Triple Crowns are really growing well too, but they aren’t upright like these UA varieties. They’re going to have to be trellised pretty soon as a lot of the longer canes are just growing along the ground. I suppose this is a trailing type variety?

I just wish my raspberry plants were this vigorous, but judging by the prolific amount of wild blacks to rasps around here, I shouldn’t be too surprised by this.

Are you getting any primocane berries off your Freedom plants yet?

1 Like

Yes but fewer than last year. but it may be too early

My ripening order for Gooseberries: Poorman, Jeanne Pierre, Black Velvet. Poorman dried up by 7/10 before I realized they were ripe so I’m guessing they where fully ripe by 7/3. On 7/15 50% of Black Velvet fruit is ripe. Jeanne Pierre is larger and sweeter than Black Velvet. Black Velvet has a stronger flavor that reminds me of wine.

2 Likes

Planted Navaho Blackberry 2016. It produced 3 large strong upright canes 2017. The first fruit have just turned black. Since it flowered for a month I assume I will be picking blackberries from it for a month. There are hundreds of blackberries on it.

4 Likes

Patriot and Pink Lemonade today.
First crop on PL. i love it.

6 Likes

i haven’t been paying close attention to cascade gold, as i didn’t expect a primocane crop, but whaddayaknow, there are sixteen buds in various stages of development. not a lot, but i’ll take whatever golden raspberries come my way.

1 Like

My Ouchita’s second crop this year…

10 Likes

Here are yesterday’s blackberries. It’s been a good year for them.

I’ve harvested this amount 5 or 6 times plus less here and there. I feel like the two sprays of spinosad and sticker have kept the SWD back. Also the yearly three inches of woodchip mulch has made a beautiful rich soil.

8 Likes

Those look nice, and big, too. What variety are they, and when did you plant them?

Todays raspberries!

17 Likes

Kiwi Gold, Anne, Caroline, Yuki, and Jewel. They have been planted for 13 years. Yep, big berries. Fertilize with Holly-Tone. :yum:

4 Likes

@mrsg47 I’m jealous those look delicious, my first raspberries I planted failed so I am going to try next year. Cross my fingers.

1 Like

Got up early to pick blueberries. Found more blackberries and a few strawberries.

The hardest thing about blueberries is finding the time to pick them.

8 Likes

Keep on trying!

1 Like

try planting in mounds with some peat and perlite added to your soil. you guys have the same problem we do. poor drainage during wet times. raspberries need well draining soil or the roots rot. other than that, they are easy to grow.

2 Likes