2018 peach report

Last year the squirrels ripped through my netting so no peaches, this year the late frost killed every bloom.

Thanks, I would like to try one of those here, I have some really good varieties of fruit here in CA, but I know some of it does not do well there on the east coast. If there is anything that you would like too trade 3 to 1, your red peaches are expensive I know, I would be happy to give you 3 varieties for your best red peach, thanks, let me know, June pride is rated for zone 5, don’t know how it will do for you, but here its awesome and basically red/orange flesh. Elegant Lady, another top quality peach may work for you and is great! Also have Rio Oso Gem peach, O henry very good, as is kaweah, and August pride. Also have 30 varieties of figs including, Cravens Craving, Red Lebanese BV, Soccoro Black, Emelynyns Purple, Gris de St jean, Hative de Arguentuil, CDD Noir, Panache, Strawberry Verte, Galacia negra, VDB, Bourjossotte gris, and Capoll Curt Negra, amoust others, Also have a really good honey nectarine, september honey, ripe now here, wonder if you could ripen in your zone? It could be that it makes no sense to trade with me here in Ca, that is fine too, just let me know, thanks!

1 Like

That foster peach is really beautiful! Did you have it inside a clemson bag the whole time? If so, I’m very surprised by the coloring. I only used clemson bags one year on a few peaches, but those I put it on all had perfectly uniform color and never developed any red blush, even though others on the tree did. Also, in Japan a lot of orchards bag peaches specifically for that reason- to keep the sun off so the color will be a solid, uniform yellow-just like what I experienced. I always thought most of the red blushes were from sun exposure so if yours were bagged, I wonder how it got so much red?

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely think your peach is beautiful- even prettier than my solid yellow bagged ones, so its just a curiosity thing.

1 Like

I’ve often gotten very good brix levels from trees just starting to bare fruit- few fruit, lots of leaves, limited root system. The first season it bore, Corralstar was amazing (high sugar AND acid), and even though I knew my experience was much too limited to be definitive I raved about how great it was- inspired Olpea to order some trees. Now the thing bears huge beautiful peaches- the #1’s reaching up to a pound weight, but the Earnie’s choice next to it has considerably more sugar and flavor (smaller peaches, too- you can actually eat one in one sitting). Next year I will try to produce half as many peaches on the tree and hopefully they won’t become 2 pound water balloons. Meanwhile, I will graft some other wood on it. It will be a great mother, at least.

Sometimes I wonder what could be accomplished with root pruning.

2 Likes

Kevin,
It was in the bag at a thumb size until when I took the bag off to take the pic. I picked it right after the pic was taken. It never got sunlight after being in the bag. I guess the color was what it was supposed to be. I bagged PF 24 C and Autumn Star in the past. Like you said, the bagged ones were paler than the unbagged ones.

2 Likes

I hope to trial a few reds next spring if I can get the grafts to take, Sanguine Vineuse
Sanguine d’Auvergne. But I favor Arctic Glo and plan to make my own red peaches with glo as the pollen parent. I had some seedlings, but they died on me, so tried a few crosses again this year. See what grows out down the road.

4 Likes

I’m assuming Pilat bit the dust? Or do you still prefer the Chateauneuf over it?

Where did you acquire the wood from?

Another grower I know. I don’t have the wood yet. Just agreed to trade.These names may be synonymous with others already mentioned, as each country has it’s own name for such things.
These originated from Europe at one time. Also Sanguine d’Auvergne is a nectarine.
I’ll eventually have wood to trade a few years from now.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Sanguine+d’Auvergne&client=opera&hs=aFY&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=4ie6FsDqUUzIlM%3A%2CVUstBIJbNYzOmM%2C_&usg=AFrqEzduoPV95cIiSThCbSKG-QOrl9HHUQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjrvI-JiJ_dAhUq6oMKHVdaBXsQ9QEwBnoECAYQBg#imgrc=4ie6FsDqUUzIlM:

Yes it died. I dont know if it was viruses or I had it on weak stalks but I had two grafts and both died.

Chateauneuf has gotten better as the graft has matured, it’s getting more sugar in the fruits.

I am always suspicious of any new Sanguine peach w.r.t. plum pox, any peach from France needs to go through quarantine to make sure its clean. The Sanguine Pilat I got from a CRFG swap so I figured it was checked out but its something I don’t like taking risks on.

3 Likes

AFAIK, Sanguine Tardive and Pêche de Vigne are the same peach.

En France, la pêche sanguine tardive est souvent appelée pêche de vigne. Elle se présente avec une chair rouge foncé, une peau gris souris et une maturité très tardive (nommée Cardinal en Suisse). La caractéristique commune des pêches de vignes est une production de fruits à la même période que la vigne.

Scott, when your Pêche de Vigne starts fruiting, you will be able to confirm or refute whether they’re the same.

Jon, Sanguine Tardive scionwood was available at CRFG exchanges last January; it’s not unlikely it will be available again next year.

2 Likes

https://goo.gl/images/29JcsK this is the peach I have eaten. This is what is sold in the markets, it is small. Color might depend on your soil. As it is very dry where they are grown. The trees are kept very small.

2 Likes

C’est vraiment rouge!

Oui, absolutment; le chair est très rouge avec justement un peu de sucre.

I don’t think either of those names constitutes a variety, it is more a class of peach. If you read a bit earlier in the Wiki article you will see where they mention that fact for peche de vigne but I think it also holds for how they are using sanguine tardive there (note no caps - its not a name).

Here is a page that mentions there are over 120 varieties of peach de vigne type (scroll down):

http://www.pommiers.com/peche/pecher.htm

You can also see they list some varieties, and “tardive” as you can see is more an appendage to a name so I expect this Sanguine Tardive was originally something like Sanguine Tardive de Chanas or some such and the name got shortened somewhere along the way.

Arboreum last year was selling both de Vigne and Sanguine Tardive which is another reason I expect they are different varieties. I think they also may have separate entries in the ARS database.

2 Likes

Kevin,
Another bagged peach dropped this afternoon. It has nice color.
The bagged peach looks very nice and clean. Surround peach does not look quite appetizing!!!

a

It dropped from an Autumn Star tree but I know it is not AS since AS won’t ripen here until mid Sept. I also grafted several varieties on it. Too difficult to figure what variety it is. Pretty but bland, which has been a theme of my peaches so far this year. Several PF 24C dropped everyday. None tasted any good. The rain and lack of sun in August really ruined the taste of my peaches.

Hopefully AS which ripens later will taste better than my current peaches.

3 Likes

That gave me an idea.If the taste is bland,sprinkle them with powdered sugar.Okay,I’ll stop now. Brady

2 Likes

On a serious note. I talk to a lot of older people who routinely put a small amount of table sugar on any peaches they buy. They view it like strawberries, too many times they are not sweet enough to eat plain.

The seconds we sell for canning/freezing are picked from the lower interior of the tree and don’t have enough sugar for fresh eating, imo. When people insist on eating them fresh, I recommend peel, slice and sprinkle a little sugar on them. It really brings out the flavor.

I’ve done this with second peaches we have taken to family gatherings, and everyone raves about them.

3 Likes

Arboreum sells Sanguigne Tardive but I am wondering if your Tardive and theirs are different. Their website says their Tardive is the “latest and darkest” of the red peaches and ripens mid-September.

What do you think?

That sounds like a different peach, but Todd donated “Sanguine Tardeva” to ARS so I had assumed it was the same. He also donated a “de Vigne” but not a “Sanguine Tardive”, which I also assumed was because it was under the other name. Maybe it would be worth checking with Todd.