2020 hot peppers

Here’s some of mine this year.

7 Likes

nice plants and led set up. i have the same except mine are 2 reg light sockets with 4 led bulbs on spliters each. works but yours are more evenly spaced.

2 Likes

Thanks, so far it’s working pretty well. I just put it up this year. I added three more shelves and this seemed to be a more affordable option. The plants seem to be growing just as well so far as other lights.

2 Likes

I bought some new lights to extend my seed starting area and they really seem to push the little seedlings into flowering. I don’t see any buds on the super hots, but plenty on my 5 inch tall jalapenos and I’m even seeing flowers on the same size rocotos. Maybe this will help me get some pods before the summer heat shuts these fuzzie guys down. I’d hate to have to wait until fall to taste them as others seem to experience. I just hope these peppers don’t runt out like a fruit tree that goes into fruiting too early.

2 Likes

@zendog, flowers on the rocoto have a good chance of aborting thats just what they seem to do. It is normal for those to flower early though. I hope they hang on for you but with that being said i personally would pull the blooms off at this stage. flowering plants do slow down vegetative growth

3 Likes

Thanks. I guess I’ll pull most of them and maybe leave the buds on one plant to see how it does. I don’t expect they’ll hold on, but it sure would be nice if they did. I’ve never grown rocotos, so I’m very interested in getting a taste. I think they’ll be tough to get good production from in my hot/humid area, so we’ll see if the taste and texture is worth the effort.

1 Like

Agreeing with @thepodpiper. I always pinch any forming flowers off of my peppers. I also prune my pepper plants once they get 5 or 6 leaves, for a hardier, sturdier plant and better pepper production.

2 Likes

All of my hot peppers are in the ground, now just to wait for that first mature burning hot pepper!!!

3 Likes

my pepper starts have done extremely poorly this year. germinated in february, they’re all stunted and tiny, and not a single one has made it beyond the first pair of true leaves.

I first blamed the unusually cool weather for zone 10. so i popped some new seeds in early may (late in the season, I know, but I want some new pepper plants this year, dammit), and they’re still struggling, tho the weather has been warm enough.

my suspicion now is of the potting mix, not the weather. in previous years, I used miracle gro with good results. this year, I used dr. earth potting mix, and I don’t plan on using that ever again.

the doctor is not in.

2 Likes