2022 - 2023 Grafting Thread

Will report back. This wasn’t dormant wood. I just cut a piece from another tree and grafted it to a different tree. Freshly harvested actively growing wood.

1 Like

As you can see on the pictures below the scion-grafts were very successfull. I did 8 scion-grafts, and 7 of them survived. The bud-grafts however, although they seemed to be ok, didn’t make it. Probably because I didn’t cut the branches above the graft (I did the scion-grafts on the same branches). Because I only need one to grow further, I have to cut the other 6 off … (but I will air-layer them first, so they can be treated as new plants).

The lower part with the yellow label is the new variety.

Maybe the success of these grafts is due to the very good weather we had last summer, and the grafts were done in the greenhouse (although with windows and door open). So the temperatures were optimal for grape-grafting. This year I’m going to graft several 20-year old vines outside this way. Hopefully with similar success.

PS.:I also did some green-on-green grafts on grapes last year (same period as the “wood-on-green” grafts from the photo’s above). Success was much less, but 50% made it (However, my preference in the future will be the wood-on-green method).

Jack

3 Likes

Anyone have hot tips for sources to buy apple rootstocks? I ordered some M26 but I was also hoping to order some G890 and seems that all the places I’ve looked are sold out already.

Grandpasorchard.com has some i believe. Im not sure of they are the cheapest, but at least they have some G890 in stock.

1 Like

Thanks!

No problem at all. I haven’t had a problem ordering from them in the past.

1 Like

Someone experience with gooseberry-grafting? I’ve grown several rootstocks for grafting gooseberries onto to make standard gooseberries (rootstocks: ribes aureum and jostaberry). Is there a preferred method to graft them? Would w&t work or is it better to chip-bud them? Because they wake up very early (low temperatures outside), do they need hot callusing, or should I graft them (potted) in the greenhouse? Scions are in the refrigerator already, so I can wait if necessary, until temperatures are higher.

Jack

2 Likes

I just poked gooseberry cuttings into the ground 6 or 8 inches in fall and they rooted by spring. Very easy.

2 Likes

Last year I started my first apple frankentree - it’s a 5 year old M111 tree and now has 3 varieties on it. This year I’m planning to graft several more varieties in different places, mainly smaller laterals. The tree has only born a handful of fruit so far, but this year has quite a few fruit buds developed. I am wondering if making new grafts this spring would interfere with fruit production for this season. Curious if it takes the tree extra energy to heal the graft wounds, or if its just like any other pruning cut wound.

1 Like

I have grafted gooseberry to josta to make a “ standard “
Used w/ t method , just as they started growth outside in ground ,
Cut scion the same day as grafted, worked good .
Lasted about 8 yrs , then a decline . Was easier to pick being taller.

Also , I grafted the josta at about 3ft above the ground.
So that all the gooseberry was well above ground,for easy picking . I don’t have any of those now . But maybe I should do it again .as it seamed worth while . But short lived . ~8 yrs

Yes, I know gooseberries can easily be grown by cuttings. Those on the picture below have been cuttings.

But I also want to graft some to get standards, like those on following picture:

Last year I’ve grown some fine rootstocks, waiting to be grafted.

Ribes Aureum

Jostas

@hillbillyhort I’m glad the jostas can be grafted when it’s still cold outside. The aureum will be potted en kept a few weeks in the greenhouse before I graft them.

Jack

4 Likes

I dug into a lot of research on creating standard currants.
Never did find anything concrete in rootstock but I did plant a clove currant last fall because it was the tallest currant species I could find. Time will tell if it makes a good rootstock.

2 Likes

Should we start a 2023 grafting thread?

2 Likes

Yes, please do.

1 Like

Hello Jimmy,

I did a google search and I could see that a clove currant = ribes aureum = ribes odoratum. This variety is mostly used as standard for gooseberries.
To grow fine, straight long standards, proceed as follows:

• Cut your clove currant (every branch if there are more then 1) about 5 cm (2 ") above ground (february is a good time to do that)
  • There will sprout new shoots from the remaining stumbs. Keep 3 or 4 strong ones, cut off the others up to the stem.
  • When the new shoots are about 35 - 40 cm (15") you can layer them: take a bucket or pot (5 liter /1 gallon) and cut out the bottom of it. Place this upside down over the shoots, and fill the pot with potting soil. Give a lot of water.
  • Every now and then, give some water to keep the soil inside the pot moist.
  • In the autumn or winter, lift the pot, and you will see that all stems have plenty of roots (you don’t need to scratch them, they root very easily). You can cut them just above ground.
  • Next spring you can repeat this. Every year, the mother plant will give you some very nice standards.

(The rootstocks laying on the ground in the picture above have been grown that way.)

Jack

2 Likes

This will be the 4th growing year for these grafted apples. Should I expect some flowering this year? Or should I start pruning the tree?

Have you have success grafting ribes before? I’m also growing clove currants and thinking about doing this. Also I have few large bushes that I’ve thought about grafting other varieties onto just to get a flush of softwood for rooting.

How tall is the tree? It looks like not in a good location, based on 4 years of growth on the picture. Also, the tree doesn’t seem have many scaffold. What training system are you using?

The first picture the tree is about 12 ft tall with branches on top and a few in the middle. The 2nd treee is about 6ft tall. Never had success grafting as to producing fruit. This is my 4th year grafting apple trees. I don’t know how to train the branches or anything like that just have had them growing naturally. Any help is greatly appreciated