2023 Grafting Thread

It is encouraging that 2624 can be rooted in an aeroponic setting. I am rooting it on the heating mat, but don’t have result yet.
Do you set your water temperature to certain degrees?

I just threw a few tiny cuttings in there with my figs no extra heat so it was about 50-55, no hormone. 3 of 3 rooted.

2 Likes

Today is perfect conditions for grafting pecans. We had 2 inches of rain last night which means soil moisture is at a very high level. The sun is out shining bright. Pecan grafts usually are easy in these conditions.

I also made a few more pear grafts. There is an area behind my house that has about a dozen callery pear seedlings. I’m turning them into grafted trees. The seedlings are between 3/16 and 1/2 inch diameter so just about right to graft.

3 Likes

Noticed this cherry whip graft had some callous protruding out below my rubber tape and parafilm wrap… removed the tape… looks like that whip has healed up well.

My two callery transplants with grafts.
The smaller callery with mod cleft graft is doing excellent. The larger callery with bark graft … one side is doing ok… the other not doing much.

A few apple grafts…

9 Likes

Today is the end of 2023 pear grafting for me. Here are the varieties I have grafted. Some of these were done over the last 2 years.

Ayers
Clara Frijs
Clarks Yellow
Daishi Li
Douglas
Drippin Honey
Duchess
Early Yellow
Harrow Delight
Harrow Sweet
Harvest Queen
Hosui
Kieffer
Korean Giant
Ledbetter
Magness
New World
Plumblee
Potomac
Shinko
Spalding
Sunrise
Very Late (LuckyP special, name forgotten, but ripens very late)
Warren
Winter Nelis
Ya Li

4 Likes

@Fusion_power

That is a good group of pears! Plumblee may or may not get fireblight. Have had mine hit with it. They are a nice tree. Does anyone grow the Plumblee Pear?

I do, but it hasn’t fruited yet. Perhaps this year, but I haven’t checked.

I grafted Summer Salish, Suncrest and Naniamo peach scions in various combinations onto St. Julien, almond, Seneca European plum and Mariana 2624 (maybe not compatible?).

This is the 5th coldest April on record in the Portland area. As such I constructed a greenhouse within a greenhouse using a tote, a Home Depot 55 gallon drum liner and a seed starting mat. None of my peach grafts took last year so I am hoping the extra effort will be fruitful!

3 Likes

These are my very first grafts ever. Varaha (M. Rubra?) on Morus Alba Tatarica from March 11.

4 out of 4 took. Proud of myself.

Got a dozen+ apple, pear and prune grafts going right now. Hopefully they’ll be just as successful.

10 Likes

this isn’t exactly grafting but I planted peach seeds (embryos, after cracking in a vise) today using all the pits I saved from last year, with about 72 looking viable. I’m hoping this will be most of my rootstocks for the next couple years

18 out of 26 apple grafts have broken buds and are actively growing. Five of the eight remaining look like they will eventually wake up.

I took everyone’s advice about using my growing peach stock - and grafting it over with apricots. It was an apricot that had the grafted top broken off in a storm. Now it has several different varieties of apricots on it . . . which are taking off. Hope they are not just stored energy ‘scion’ growth. But . . . looks that way. Just gonna have to wait to see.

Should I remove most of the remaining ‘peach growth’? Don’t I need ‘nurse branches’? I left quite a few ‘just in case’ branches. But, quite frankly . . . if most of this year’s grafts bite the dust - I’ll just pull the whole thing out and order a little apricot tree.

7 Likes

FYI peach and apricot have a delayed graft incompalitable problem. They will fail in a year or 2.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of this, do you have a reference to learn more? For example, this UC Davis guide on apricot rootstock selection says:

Apricot can be grown successfully on rootstocks of other species within the Prunus genus, including peach, plum, and various interspecific Prunus hybrids. Specifically, apricot has been successfully grown on several rootstocks including Nemaguard, Nemared, Lovell, Marianna 2624 (plum), and Citation (hybrid) (Hartmann et al. 2011). Nemaguard (seedling peach rootstock) and Citation are the most common rootstocks used in commercial apricot production in California.

I’d probably remove the Peach leaves,below the Apricot grafts.A nurse branch might be like say,in the first photo,if there was a branch,instead of a stub,near that plastic tag.
The energy now needs to go to the grafts.

1 Like

I’ve had a number of Apricot varieties,on a Nectarine for several years and they keep growing.

I chip grafted some potted rootstock last summer.

When should I clip off the old rootstock once the chip starts sprouting? Does it need to grow out more or do I want to get all the dormant energy into this one sprout?

See photos.

Just an angled cut above the chip graft?

1 Like

Reference was personal experience in the 1980’s. Plumcot grew on peach and had fruit then graft failed. I found reference about it but that was 40 years ago.

1 Like

Plant propagation principles and practices says that some members of the stone fruit family are incompatible with others. It is often variety specific meaning one particular variety of apricot may not be accepted on Plum but will be accepted on Peach or vice versa.

2 Likes

I believe that is the book I had.

1 Like