2023 Persimmon Grafting

Roseyanka sucked here. Died multiple times in winters that weren’t very cold. Maybe -12 or -15F. Temperature fluctuations or whatever, but I wouldn’t consider it ever again. JT-02 is way hardier. I had tip dieback from the severe late spring deep freeze, but no death.

2 Likes

@snowflake

Thank you thats good to know!

1 Like

@clarkinks

I should amend that to say -12 or -15F in a protected spot… so not a very tough one. JT-02 has done fine out in the open the last few years and even in a low frost pocket. I grafted it after we had the -30Fish winter as I hoped that was my one lightning strike for the next 30 years :slight_smile:

1 Like

JT-02 survived -8F or -9F on a first year graft last year for me. NB-02 or Zima Khurma is another hybrid that survived with no dieback the last 2 years.

2 Likes

My Persimmon Collection (so far) by TNHunter

It takes a while to get out and walk to and check / collect pictures of all my persimmons now days but this morning I have a day off and did that. I wanted to have one post here that shows all of them. So here we go.

First listing my wild persimmons. I have something like 60-70 wild persimmon seedlings in my fields… it would be difficult to count them all but they just pop up everywhere in my fields. Note these fields were bushhogged last October and the growth you are seeing now all happened this spring and early summer. These have somewhat established root systems and push top growth much better than a true seedling persimmon would.

Wild DV in my fields…

These make excellent grafting rootstock.

I have a few nice wilds… 4-5 that are producing fruit now… these are mostly smaller trees in the edge of my woods or roadside… that currently produce 20-40 persimmons.

This one makes several nice clear orange persimmons… good flavor.

Another wild fruit producer…

Now moving on to my other persimmons.

Bought this little IKKJ early this spring… it is my only pure Asian persimmon. It has some growing to do.

Now all the rest of these are from grafts done this spring to wild DV rootstocks here on my place.

JT02
Coroa De Rei
Prok

Zima Khurma
JT02 bark graft

Rich Tooie
JT02 bark graft… this one has struggled but has not given up. Got hit hard by psillium too.

The top pic above is a failed bark graft attempt to a wild DV… 3 scions failed… that new growth there is all from the wild DV. This tree fruited last year… but the persimmons were 20 ft high. Next time it fruits should be much lower.

The bottom pic is of the two wilds that I grew from seed. The larger has kassandra grafted on… and has done well… the smaller one has Nakittas Gift grafted on and it is starting to do very well too.

This is a close up of the NG.
Looks like I will have Kassandra and Nakittas Gift growing side by side.

And finally the last of my persimmon grafts added this spring… WS8-10 Barbara’s Blush.
This one will be in the front yard of our new home once built…

Listing all the varieties that i have now… and a few details about them.

Americans

Wild DV trees (several). Size 1.5-2", ripen October/November
Prok - Size ?, Ripen - September/October ?
Rich Tooie - Size 2 inch, Ripen October
WS8-10 Barbara’s Blush - 2.25-2.5" fruit per Cliff, Ripen ???

Kaki/Asian

IKKJ - Size ?, Ripen (Late Oct, Early Nov ??)

Hybrids

JTO2 (3) Mikkusu - per Cliff 2.5-3", Ripen ???
Zima Khurma - Size Med to Large per Cliff, Ripens Late Season
Kassandra - Size 2.5-2.75 inch per Cliff, Ripens Mid Season
Nakitta’s Gift - Size ???, Ripens October per OGW.

Not Sure (is this Kaki ? Hybrid ?)

Corora De Rei - From Portugal, Size ???, Ripens ?

If any of you can help with some details on the varieties that I have. I put a few details above, Size and Ripening time… some I found on Englands orchard, or other Nursery.

I have 4 rootstocks set apart/protected for grafting next spring, I think 1 of those will be used for H63A American and one for Journey Hybrid.

TNHunter

3 Likes

I had severe dieback on Zima Khurma (NB-02) in a frost pocket from our late spring freeze although ti was smaller wood on a frankentree. It survived previous winters of -15ish (maybe -18) with no damage. This thread shows reported cold tolerance of the hybrid varieties and I believe it to be fairly accurate although I think Rosseyanka might be slightly overreported on that list. Maybe add an extra question mark behind it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes. We have a member who has had Rosseyanka for 30 years in 6a.

It’s a fast grower, took these scions off my two year old graft. I’m thinking they’re still in the fridge.

5 Likes

@JCW

Those look great!

Kasandra, Rosseyanka, and Zima Khurma have all grown well for me in zone 6a, in Illinois. Rossey does not fully ripen for me every year.

1 Like

ive had it for 3 years, so its survived at least -15 several times, plus changeable weather. i’ll probably just graft it over this year though, since i understand it ripens in early December or some such. Hardiness be damned, thats just not going to work here. I have higher hopes for Journey, Kasandra, JT-02, and Dar Sofiyivki

1 Like

i top worked this alleged ‘Geneva Long’ that only made male flowers over to ‘Sosnovskaya’.
Anyone have it? If so, hows the hardiness and ripening time? Supposedly mid-October in Ukraine. Iffy here if true but worth a try.

I like to hedge my bets. If they all take, the vigor will be well spread between them. Each one has a ready stake and bird perch. Grafts are at about 3 1/2 ft.

I like 1/4” strips of friction tape to bind the union and redirect the small side branches upwards. Ill put velcro tape around the new growth up the sacrificial stem at intervals as it grows, plus one around the graft union when i remove the friction tape in late july or so. This makes for a pretty wind resistant graft since its well supported, and when the tree blows, the stem provides support while moving with the scion.

6 Likes

@JCW

Those look amazing!

2 Likes

Got 6/8 takes on my spring grafts of JT-02 and Chuchupaka. I was expecting a lower rate since I managed to cut myself partway through. The Chuchupaka was leftover from last year, stored in my regular fridge with fruits and veggies (but triple bagged). JT-02 was a stick I found on the ground in late winter at least a week after it must have broken off. Persimmon scion continues to amaze me with how durable it is.

Here are the two nicest grafts:

Really need to get some staking in place…
Yesterday, I also t-budded a handful of JT-02 using this year’s growth to see what happens. I’m assuming I force them next year if they take?

7 Likes

I love unwrapping time! Here’s the nicest looking of the graft unions.

And some show areas I need to work on still. This chip bud is only partially attached. I rewrapped it to give it more support while it solidifies its connection. The other side looks a lot better.

7 Likes

All grafts done on 4-12-23.

Mostly bark, w&t, and cleft grafts.

7 Likes

You have some dandy looking growth there !!!

3 Likes

Everything has lined up nicely this year at that spot. The weather has really helped. More rain than usual at the right times, and more consistent temperatures. Not like normal. :joy:

3 Likes

This is a Journey persimmon I grafted utilizing Barkslip’s Hot Calloused Pipe method. This is my first time grafting persimmons, so I am pretty happy with how it calloused up. Now I just need it to leaf out.

4 Likes

@Beetree … nice persimmon patch…

You wont have to walk far to gather many varieties. Good luck !

1 Like

Thank you! I gotta get in there and put some better protection on the smaller ones soon or it will be just those two bigger ones (deer…lots). I’m kinda surprised they hadn’t gotten em yet. :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:
It was a similar situation to yours. All these wild ones were already in place with good root power. Hopefully a candy store in a few years at both your place and mine.

2 Likes