2024 NEW to your garden / orchard this year

Don’t forget about haskaps, unless you don’t like them. They like shade!

3 Likes

Sounds like a lot of awesome stuff going on Drew! I’m even more excited to try my nocturne berries now, thanks for the recommendation.

2 Likes

I have way more going on than I can handle, fruit wise this year (as usual). I need to prioritize grafting over sleep this April, which will probably end up including excessive coffee consumption and taking a few PTO days, a worthwhile use of that ‘vacation’ time.

A few hundred persimmon trees, some apples, and a bunch of pawpaws need bench grafted. Time to sharpen my knife now.

5 Likes

Here’s a few things I have on order, just received, or received in fall.

Burntridge
●Goumi
•Sweet Scarlet
•Red Gem
•Carmine
●Bush Cherry
•Carmine Jewel
•Crimson Passion
●Cornelian Cherry
•Sunrise
•Big Fruit
●Gooseberry
•Black Gooseberry, (Ribus divaricatum)

Johanns
-Pippi Goumi

Sam Thayer Order.
●American Highbush Cranberry
•Sharon
•Mondeaux
•Flag River

Honeyberryusa
–Sweet Thing Bush Cherry.
–Valentine Bush Cherry.
–D’Artagnan Bush Cherry.
–Cupid Bush Cherry.
–Cutie Pie Bush Cherry.

One green world.
-Coral Blaze Cornelian cherry
-Svitlana Cornelian Cherry

Edible landscaping.
-3 Jan Bush Cherry
-3 Joel Bush Cherry
-3 Ian White Nanking
-3 Gabe White Nanking
-3 Jules White Nanking

Viburnums
2 yellow tribolum.
Viburnum nudum ‘Pink Beauty’
Viburnum nudum ‘Longwood’
Viburnum opulus ‘Aureum’
Viburnum opulus ‘Xanthocarpum’
Viburnum trilobum ‘Spring Green Compact’

I told myself this year I would focus on:
-more bush cherries besides my Romeos and juliets, and wowza.
-adding in Goumi since I have a lot of autumn olive now.
-replacing some white nankings and adding the others.
-trying out some cornelian cherries.
-order any highbush Cranberry I can find.
-adding any Viburnums that intrigued me.

I told myself I wouldn’t
-buy apples, pears, plums, cherries etc this year at all.
-buy some medlars.
-buy persimmons.

But I’m going to allow myself to impulse buy some things in person if I find them this year. I’ll try to stick to only things on my wants list if possible. And if I can ever catch Fruitwood with anything in stock I might make an order there later.

4 Likes

Sweet Crisp was developed in Florida and not easy to locate plants. It’s a very firm berry hence “crisp”. Like apple level crisp.
Fruitnut here has grown just about all the southern high bush and his favorites are Sweetcrisp and Springhigh.
The only place I would trust you get the real Sweetcrisp is Just Fruits and Exotics. I don’t think they ship to California. So you may not find it.
Springhigh is another Florida developed cultivar that needs 200 hours chilling.
Very early ripener. It may be hard to find in California. Fruitnut says it’s not firm but by far has the best flavor of any SHB he has tried and he has tried dozens. Fruitnut is one of the most experienced growers here. Worked doing research at the university level and does have a PhD. Has his own greenhouse. I listen to everything he says.

3 Likes

Awesome. Yes I’ve been searching for the last half hour and it seems like no one ships here. Let me see if any of the local nurseries have it and also check some popular mail order nurseries in CA. Seems like SOMEONE must have figured this out.

I found the Sweetcrisp and Springhigh thread! Am about 1/4th of the way through reading it.

Here it is in case anyone is interested:

3 Likes

Ok… Ok… just thought I was finshed…

Ordered a Montmorency cherry tree and 2 Serviceberry bushes from Burnt Ridge this morning. Will be planting these at our future new home location.

TNHunter

7 Likes

I have a bunch of things new this year:

1. Putting in a Spice Zee Nectaplum into a 30G pot.
  2. Rooting a whole bunch of fig cuttings that I’m super excited about.
  3. Finally putting my grapes into the ground - Princess and Flame IIRC
  4. Rooting some grape cuttings - Blueberry, Suffolk red and a few others.
  5. Trying out dinner plate dahlias for the first time. I have them in pots trying to get some growth on them before I put them into the ground this month or in April.
  6. Grafting projects - have a whole bunch I’m excited to try and also got some coming from the Cal Citrus Clonal Protection Program in April. Will try to post more on this in the 2024 grafting thread.
  7. Trying some new tomato varieties this year that I’m excited about.
  8. Trying some new potato varieties: Sapro Mira, Baltic Rose, Carola, Charlotte, Elba, Huckleberry Gold.
5 Likes

Blackberries
Prime Ark Freedom planted new year’s day 2024

Pawpaw
Shenandoah
KSU-Chappell

Heartnut
Grimo 89 - 2024 (pre-order)
Grimo 94 - 2024 (pre-order)

Clove Currant:
Black Topaz
Missouri Giant
Crandall Black

I’ll likely get Honeydrops White Mulberry, more Cornus Mas (Flava, Aliosha, Black Plum, and Yugo Sweet), and more Pawpaws (Nyomi’s Delicious and Tropical Treat) in 2024

3 Likes

I’m in CA, and I was able to purchase SweetCrisp through Florida Hill Nursery (Blueberry plants for Sale - Florida Hill Nursery Tropical Plants). Looks like right now they have Springhigh but not SweetCrisp.
I think folks had some concerns about Florida Hill Nursery in the past. There was some discussion on this site.
All the banana and blueberry plants I received from them arrived healthy and have growing well, but no fruit yet from the SweetCrisp, so I can’t speak to the trueness to cultivar.

3 Likes

Do you already have Joy or were they out when you ordered?

There didn’t have any, correct. I don’t have any yet either.

1 Like

I have only bought 1 new tree, but I’m doing a lot of grafting this year.

Azadi Pomegranate due to the study on rot resistance…

1 Like

Update:

I ended up ordering from Raintree Nursery (very first time):

Passiflora Pinkpop, Russian Male Musk Strawberry, Capron Musk Strawberry, Profumata Musk Strawberry, Sweet Scarlet Goumi, Leikora Seaberry, McDonald Hazelnut, Polly O Hazelnut and Wepster Hazelnut

I also picked up some rootstock (and scionwood) from @JustPeachy and had a small back order from Hartmann’s Nursery that @disc4tw mailed to me (along with scionwood).

Finally, I went to a scion swap and got a bunch of new varieties of apples, Asian pear and NA Pawpaw, too many to list.

5 Likes

I had to look up musk strawberry. Had never heard of them before. Very cool!

2 Likes

I started some musk strawberries from seed that I bought from The Strawberry Seed Store last year. They did well, but I knew that I needed a male to pollinate and there was no guarantee that I would germinate one. I didn’t get any berries last year, so I decided to buy the male and while I was at it, thought I may as well get the other two that they offer as well. I will plant them by the ones I germinated.

3 Likes

Thought I was done :slight_smile:

I snagged the following at the OC CRFG plant sale.

Golden currant
Tiny pawpaw - Pennsylvania Golden
Conadria Fig
Chilean Tuna “prickly pear”
Blue Celeste Fig
African Pride Atemoya
El Bumpo Cherimoya
Loquat - Gold Nugget
Ice Cream Bean (air layered)
Pineapple “Honey Sweet”

Cue circus music since I already have too many pending projects in my yard: my order with Papayas from the Hawaiian nursery arrived, my zone pushing honeyberries, Crandall clove currant and Tatiana Black currant are here and my fejioa and Hardy kiwi and arctic kiwi arrived. Now my only order pending is Albion, Mara De Bois, and Earliglow strawberries, Joan J Raspberries and Ponca Blackberries. And I got 2 more pomegranates (Ariana and Parfianka) and 2 more figs (Gary’s Strawberry fig and Panache fig) from the nursery the other day.

So exciting. Also so grateful I can indulge in this hobby.

3 Likes

My new tiny Cardinal persimmon from OGW.

1 Like

We’ve planted lots this winter and spring with more going in each week. We’re in Upstate, SC Zone 8a.
Probably easies to follow everything over on YouTube ( https://www.youtube.com/DeanFamilyAcres ), but here’s a quick list of the edible additions:

Blueberries:
60’ row of Powderblue
60’ row of Climax
6 large unknown rabbiteye

Removed a large maple and created an edibles bed
Azadi Pomegranate
2 pineapple guava
Little Miss Figgy
Robinson Crabapple
Tanenashi Persimmon

Peaches:
Saturn, Red Globe, Loring

Muscadines:
Dixieland, Delicious, Lane, Fry, Pam, Sweet Mix

Fuzzy Kiwi:
Saanichton, Jenny, Vincent, and a Male

Hopa Crabapple
Seedling Apple

Plums/Pluot:
Odom, Guthrie, Spring Satin

Grafting:
Top worked Bradford with ~ 5 varieties
8 Pluot varieties
~9 Plum varieties

1 Like

I found Jan now at Fruitwood. I put in an order.

3 Likes