$300 Pawpaw

Hahaha thank you!
I am curious to see if it gets any bigger.
I believe they usually size up quickly at the end (based on observations of wild trees).
It has grown a bit in the last 2 weeks but hoping for a whopper of course! :rofl:

4 Likes

If itā€™s not the groundhog, itā€™s something else!

2 Likes

Man alive!
Are you in the city? Maybe you have extry-hawngry varmintsā€¦

Lol; 15 min away from city.

1 Like

Sorry Courtney . . .
about the damage. And about the fact that I donā€™t have another funny video for you!

• Karen
1 Like

That video is funny though. Have you seen them up close? Lol they hissed like a snake if they feel threatenedā€¦As much I like them, they are headaches.

I didnā€™t hear of their name ā€œwhistle pigsā€ until a few years ago.
They make a crazy sound indeed!

Well, the $300 Pawpaw dropped yesterday!
The Fort Knox approach worked!
I also did decide to put a panty-hose sling under it and sure enough sometime between Saturday and Sunday afternoon it dropped nicely into its little cradle.
Itā€™s not fragrant or soft except at the scar. I donā€™t think it was blown off though we did have a heavy rain shower yesterday.
I hope it still ripens properly.
Itā€™s a great rounded shape and very clean.

3 Likes

Did you include the cost of panty hose to the $300 price tag? :grin:

6 Likes

HA!!! perfect!

1 Like

Be sure to eat it before it rotsā€¦they donā€™t keep for long.

Well, as I feared, the fruit was a dud.
It didnā€™t seem right to me that it dropped but was not really soft or fragrant at all.
It did eventually start smelling great, like a normal pawpaw, and so I cut into it last night.
The flavor was off - kind of like a bad cantaloupe- that meaty flavor. The texture was good, and it was very fleshy, only 5% seed weight.
But there was some odd gelatinous stuff between some of the seeds too. Similar to the stuff you see in a very overripe pawpaw, but this was only near the seeds and the fruit definitely was not overripe.
Oh well - Iā€™ll have to wait another year!

1 Like