Absolute favorite apple (TASTE , not texture or to grow..etc)

Hi Andrew. I don’t know how I’d identify the flavor profile - and I can’t say that I really know what the tropical fruit characteristic is. I suppose pineapple, papaya, kiwi? I don’t know.

I have to say though that it’s a complex flavor that is “kinda” pear-like. It’s intense, not really like any other family of apples I’ve encountered.

But I don’t know Belle de Boskoop. Must have been somebody else who encouraged it. I hope it works out for you. Here’s a little info on it from The Orange Pippin - but nothing about Cox heritage in it, although it’s entirely possible.

https://www.orangepippin.com/varieties/apples/belle-de-boskoop

2 Likes

Boskoop is an old Dutch apple that I probably recommended to you.

Yes i believe you did…Thanks.I was thinking about it and that pushed me to getting 2 for this fall.Thank you !

Missed this thread until now somehow.
This year’s contenders for the title for me, listed in order of ripeness, are:
Jefferis
Dyer
Hubbardston Nonesuch
Jonagold
Macoun
King of Tompkins County
Northern Spy
Blue Pearmain
Ashmead’s
Idared

And the winner in 2020 is:
Northern Spy

6 Likes

It was an off-year for Chestnut Crab, Mother, Rambo, and Golden Russet, contenders from other years.

I am surprised how far up on your list you have Hubbardston Nonesuch, it is a late apple. It is good to see someone else likes it, that apple defines its own category of taste and texture and is well worth growing for that reason. The aromatic flavor is not exactly rose petals but it is close to that kind of flavor … not your normal apple! It is closely related to Abbondanza having fruited both of them for over ten years now. I go back and forth on which of those two is my favorite but I had a truly fantastic late hanging Abbonzanda this year which has swung the pendulum in that direction. Both of these apples vastly overset and are not as good if not thinned ruthlessly.

9 Likes

Dyer, Hubbardston Nonesuch, Jonagold, Macoun, and King of Tompkins County are somewhat interchangeable in the order I pick them – all in late September/early October. The first year Hubbardston and Westfield, named for two fine old Massachusetts towns I have visited, both bore fruit, I picked them at the same time much later in October. Since then I’ve picked Hubbardston earlier and earlier, and I’ve been more pleased with result.

2 Likes

Revive the thread? Any changes for anyone? Hard to say for me. I don’t know what the ones I like the most are called also the trees on the farm take turns on which is best what year… I like Baldwin and Macoun a lot.

2 Likes

I’ll just leave this here:

2 Likes

What is app? Can you tell me more about NovaMac? Like when does it ripen, how is it’s keeping ability, etc.

@DowneastApples click the little arrow in the upper right corner of the linked comment box and you’ll see the whole comment. “What is app” leads me to believe you’re just seeing the preview. The answers to your other questions are further down in the comment.

2 Likes

I grow Honeycrisp, and they are alright, I have had worse apples, but agree on the flavor. nice looking apple, but i am going to graft that tree over with other apples of more distinguished flavor.

1 Like

Sounds like one I should graft onto a tree!

100%. I wish I could share the apples with everyone here, they are my favourite by far, they’ve essentially ruined 80% of other apples for me.

I will look for them in Maine. I know Corn Hill in N.B. sells em. If I get a chance to make a road trip I may buy one from them.

Someone in the US is selling the trees, if you look in the thread I linked you’ll see Americans talking about buying them.

1 Like

Novamac Apple Tree on Sale - Buy Online from Mehrabyan Nursery

4 Likes

They’re 15 days and counting from my promised ship date. (But, I do understand it’s still icy in NY.)

1 Like

Ya, I’ve never used them so no idea about quality/service/whatever.

I had thought St. Lawrence Nursery carried NovaMac, but couldn’t find it there. Did a search and that was the first U.S. hit I found.

1 Like

They responded to emails, so hopefully all is OK. I can understand it’s been cold lately.
(Glad there is no more freezes in our 14 day forecast though!!!)

1 Like