Abundance of Cherries!

@Stanthecitrusman

Have you tried Carmine Jewell? Welcome to the forum!

1 Like

@clarkinks
Hoping to buy Cutie Pie and Sweet Thing cherry trees when/if they become available.

1 Like

I have Romeo, Juliet, and North Star. They all fruit for me but the bush cherry are better for fresh eating than North Star. Romeo is very susceptible to cherry leaf spot for me, Juliet a little and North Star no effect.

I’d probably plant more Juliet of the three. Since it suckers I guess I will!

2 Likes

@GeorgiaGent @Stanthecitrusman

My experience is Juliet are slightly larger than carmine jewell but far less productive. If you want cherry pie Juliet might be a better choice. I’ve got both but primarily want juice so carmine jewell is the better choice for me. All are susceptible to leaf spot which i treat with immunox once or twice a year when needed.

3 Likes

Gorgeous!!!

Neither of my cherries even blossomed this year, so I think they need a couple more years in the ground.

1 Like

Oh yeah, my honeyberries are being stripped systematically by the squirrels and birds, even of the green berries. A week ago I got to try a slightly blue honeyberry, somehow, but it was still very sour. Now there aren’t even any green ones left.

2 Likes

A friend of mine asked if he could fill up a 5 gallon bucket from his carmine jewells. 5 gallons of cherries is no problem , they are very heavy producers. That would be a light crop from a few bushes! My bushes are loaded!

The current temperature inside the barn is about 5 - 10 degrees hotter than outside normally.

The weatherman said 92 degrees and my farm was about 95 degrees. The heat is ripening , cherries, juneberries, and mulberries quickly.

3 Likes

we need some heat here asap!

1 Like

@steveb4

Wish i could give you half of ours! It is cooling back off a little which means i will do some more grafting. Running out of stuff to graft!

1 Like

I have cherry envy! Our cherry production is very light this year (way lighter than normal), but it looks like it’s going to be a massive plum year. I was hoping to make several batches of cherry wine, but not much is making it inside.

2 Likes

Clark, Do you ever have any cherry trees for sale?

1 Like

@Stanthecitrusman

No i dont sell cherry trees but @39thparallel or similar nurseries do sell them.

1 Like

How do you juice the bush cherries? I think I want to try that when/if my new planted ones ever produce fruits.

1 Like

@Fishsauce

This old thread will show me using a steam juicer Clarkinks older fruit and vegetable growing Projects in Kansas

1 Like

For anyone too lazy to pit or juice their bush cherries, I soak my harvest in Kirkland brand Canadian whisky and that takes care of about half our holiday gift list. Also works great for black raspberries and black currants.

4 Likes

cassis! ive done it with black currant and aronia. i use Evan Williams bourbon. very good. will definitly try the cherry. ill save the fruit and eat them also. :wink:

2 Likes

Just saw Cutie Pie advertised in an email from Gurney’s.

Not available in California so I won’t be getting one.

:frowning_face:

I got d’Artagnon Cherry from them… they also have cutie pie, sweet thing etc etc etc.

3 Likes

What kind of cherries are bushes and have cherries like that? I’ve only planted cherry trees. How do they taste?

1 Like

@IntrepidNewbie

Carmine jewell, juliet, romeo etc. You can expect those type of yields. This is juliet right now Juliet Cherry

5 Likes