Abundance of Cherries!

Sour cherry?

1 Like

Probably the romance series sour cherry bushes. Most likely Carmine Jewel.

2 Likes

I had 4 cherries die last year due to heavy clay and/or deer pressure.

I’m trying different cultivars (Montmorency, Governor Wood, Stella, and Black Tartarian) and rootstocks now at a different location of my property, this year.

I may try a bush type as well if they are hardier.

1 Like

@sockworth

Carmine Jewel in this case.

4 Likes

Wow that looks amazing! I have the opposite problem. All my tart cherries seem reluctant to set fruit at all (Montmorency, Nanking, Juliet and Romeo). @clarkinks curious if you do anything else besides pruning to get those results? Any fertilization in spring? How many years have they been in the ground?

2 Likes

@MikeB

Documented these cherries pretty good here Carmine Jewell Cherry Yields increasing with age .Think it will answer any questions that you have.

4 Likes

in z4 they take awhile to set fruit and hold onto them. i got some in year 3 and 4 with alot of aborts but year 5 gave me 30lbs off of each 8’x 6’ bush. is even more loaded this year. c.j, juliet and romeo. i fertilized with chic bedding for 4 years. now i just mulch to keep out weeds.

3 Likes

@steveb4 Nice! I’ll keep my fingers crossed for maybe next, next year then. My Juliet is a slow grower, only about 5 feet in 5 years. It’s had a few setbacks (canker and rabbit damage) so hopefully it’ll catch up eventually.

@clarkinks thanks for the link, I’ll dive in :+1:

2 Likes

they grow well with manure as a mulch. :wink:

2 Likes

Jealous! Wish we could grow cherries here in zone 8A. Ive tried numerous times and always fail!

3 Likes

Cherries are suprisingly heavy this year! It is odd but they are not ripening as evenly as normal which is going to spread the crop out more than usual. Hopefully everyone is getting bountiful harvests like we are this year. This is the side of the bush cherry row with less cherries!

13 Likes

my cherries are loaded as well. driving around all the wild and domesticated apples are full of blooms as are the serviceberries and highbush cranberries. looking to be a great year for fruit.

2 Likes

My Juliet had a decent fruit set, but now they’re almost all gone, bird theft probably.

My smaller Romeo set some fruit as well, but they’re gone as well.

It’s very frustrating trying to grow fruit when the varmits won’t leave them alone. What’s really aggravating is the fruit wasn’t even close to being ripe before they get pilfered.

5 Likes

sorry to hear that Bob. the birds havent figured out what they are yet here but they sure know what my honeyberries are.

2 Likes

Nets. You gotta have nets.

3 Likes

excuse me, but are you THE Stan McKenzie who grows low temp citrus? If so you’re pretty famous on these forums already. Welcome!

1 Like

Try the bush cherries they work for me 7b North Georgia

3 Likes

That would be me! LOL

1 Like

Are you talking about the Nanking variety or is there something better? Im open to suggestions.

1 Like

@Stanthecitrusman

Have you tried Carmine Jewell? Welcome to the forum!

1 Like