Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem

I believe that you copied that paragraph about Adara being developed at UC Davis from the reference thread on this site about rootstocks.

It is incorrect.

Adara was developed in Spain, not UC Davis, and I have not found any papers that studied reverse compatibility. In the interest of accuracy, it would probably be best to delete this paragraph on both the reference thread and here unless there is some evidence to support it so that we don’t propagate misinformation.

Perhaps an administrator could correct the reference thread by updating that paragraph.

2 Likes

I can’t say for sure yet but I grafted Adara to a wild cherry seedling last year and it looks good so far. No swelling on the graft union and about a meter of growth. I plan to add some european plums this year.

2 Likes

Postmortem on a Utah Giant Cherry/Adara.

In Jan '19 I received Utah Giant cherry scions in a trade from @Drew51.

An unknown plum seedling was found near an oak tree behind the house and I performed a simultaneous graft of Adara + the cherry to this old plum seedling. There were significant size mismatches for each piece of plant material so a side graft was used at the stump junction and a Z-graft for the Adara to cherry union.

The tree grew vigorously from a scion to over 6 feet in two years.

A couple days ago someone (cough, cough) was felling the oak tree to make room for more fruit trees, when a heavy branch landed on the two year old cherry snapping it at the base. The graft union did not break.

I wouldn’t normally destroy my trees just to examine the grafts but this gives us a chance to cross section the trunk and see the union between plum and cherry.

The cherry is more vigorous and over grows the plum to some extent, this is expected. To my untrained eye it looks like a very good union although I see a discoloration about the width of a human hair on one side of the trunk. I don’t know what this is or if it is of any significance.

Not all cherries are compatible with Adara. The heirlooms Goodnestone and Burbank are showing galling at the graft union. Brooks and Black Republican have more overgrowth than Lapins and Utah Giant but those four are growing well after a couple years.

Here is a cross section of the graft union. The cherry begins where the bark suddenly gets thicker.

9 Likes

Sorry for your loss! Wow, nice graft! Good info on your observations. I had a graft grow over 10 feet this year, a first year graft. I appear to be getting better at it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess Adara is proven to work well but my grafts/interstems of Adara grow way less than the cherries on top of it so the cherry outgrows it and there is a bulge where the cherry starts (the cherry trunk is significantly wider). I imagine Adara could be great in arid areas but in my location I prefer Gisela 5 or 6

3 Likes

Yes I imagine something similar to this in 25 years, functional but looks a little funky. Walnut graft compatibility - #4 by Barkslip

2 Likes

I have a couple of posts about my experience with Adara Gardening : Search results for adara

Mostly cherries, and most I used are compatible

3 Likes

Hello Jose,

Just to let you know I read lots of good reviews about ADARA rootstock,MARILAN rootstock etc.I would be interested in buying some.
Seeing your post that you’re willing to send over rootstock,I decided to write you knowing that I live in London and it is pretty close to Spain.Just wonder if you are ok to send me some ADARA,Marianna 2624 rootstock for my garden.
Please write me at this email addres morar.ionut999@gmail.com.
Many thanks,
Natan

1 Like

Hello Jose,
@Jose
Reading some good reviews about ADARA rootstock,MARILAN rootstock etc.I would be interested in buying some.
Seeing your post that you’re willing to send over rootstock,I decided to write you knowing that I live in London and it is pretty close to Spain.Just wonder if you are ok to send me some ADARA,Marianna 2624 rootstock for my garden.
Please write me at this email addres morar.ionut999@gmail.com.
Many thanks,
Natan
@Jose

@Jose-Albacete & @Luisport might be able to be of help to you, Natan.

Welcome aboard the group!

1 Like

Sorry not me… i don’t know it… :+1:

1 Like

Do you have some adrama scions or rootstocks left?
I would buy some.

1 Like

Hello
what do you want to graft?

now it’s late, everything is sprouting

What zones does Adara survive in? How much cold can it survive?

Does anyone have 1-2 Adara scion cuttings to spare. I know it’s late in the season.

You can order them from Marta

Question I have is, how long should interstems be with Adara? I would like to use this as an interstem or eventually rootstock for peach. Literature cited above has Halford as compatible, so I plan on grafting peach to Halford seedling, and the top of the Halford on Adara. Then my peach & nectarine & potentially apricot varieties to that. All as a hedge against borers, which apparently can be a problem here. Whichever tree works best is what I’ll end up keeping.
How long should the Adara be if between Myro29C and peach, and how long should Halford seedling peach be before other peach? I’m going to try on the hot pipe to do all the grafts at once, cut off at least a year.

It’s been a while since I read about your topic, but I recall you need a minimum of 6” for a compatible interstem.
Dennis

1 Like

Hi,
On second thought, if I understand your inquiry, a lot may depend upon whether you are making a multiple variety peach, or other stonefruit. Some growers use the peach rootstock for growing plums as it often gives you a more vigorous tree. So if you plan to grow only peaches, I would not use an interstem, just graft your various varieties onto your rootstock. The advantage of using Adara is that you can graft all types of stonefruit onto one rootstock. In my area I do not mix peach, apricot and nectarine which all require insect control here in my area with any plum or pluot varieties as they do not require a chemical spray program. Since I do not spray anything on my plums, I keep those trees a distance from the trees I need to treat for insect control. Hope this helps.
Dennis
Kent, wa

2 Likes

This is that I have peach rootstock and Myro29C, plus Adara scion. I will root some for next year- I want to keep some Adara around as root and scion. I am looking to mix grafts of peach and apricot on both roots. I got scion of 2 apricot varieties and 1 peach from scottfsmith, plus am deciding on others that are not necessarily common types. I don’t know if they are compatible with a wide range of rootstock, so I’m hedging my bets.

1 Like