Adara (Puente) Plum - Fruit tree, rootstock & interstem

Are there any advantages of using the Adara interstem over the zee stem when grafting cherry to plum other than the patent of Adara being expired?

I’m just curious which would be better for long term compatibility.

1 Like

I have never seen any research on this question. The two cultivars are closely related. Z-Stem will be off patent in a couple years. US20020138884P1 - Select myrobalan tree 'RI-1' - Google Patents

Hi Dan, do you still sell adara interstem next spring? please reply, thank you.

1 Like

Hi Dan,

I am in Pennsylvania could you spare some Adara scion for the spring of 2020.

Thank You
Dano

Hi Dan,
Do you have any Adara scion available for 2020?

Dan

I’ll check the orchard this week, I may have a few pieces.

Would love to know if you found any. Am in the Bay area, would be happy to come out to you to pick them up.

@danchappell

Hi, I live in Spain and I have adara. First of all say that not only does it go well on clay soil, but also on sandy soil like mine and that it helps maintain Phytophtora (neck fungus).

The Mariland is adara over Mariana, and there is also another bridge that is GXN GArnnen and Adara.

About Adara I have grafted cherry trees (care that bicolor cherries do not usually work).

I also have peaches, nectarine, pluots, Japanese plums,.

greetings and sorry for the translation

6 Likes

Hello @danchappell

I live in Denmarl and would like to buy some Adara scions if it possible?

My mail is:
Jkvaaben@gmail.com

Illegal for me to ship to Europe and they would probably be seized or irradiated and killed at customs unless they were smuggled. Perhaps you could make a trip to Spain and get some Adara or Monropos there. Good luck.

hi
i can send you…

Hey Dan! Thanks for sharing this information. I live in California also, I have a cherry tree I’d like to graft a peach onto and was thinking I could use Adara as an intermediary between the two. Is there a chance I could get some sent, I’d be more than happy to reimburse you thru paypal :slight_smile: Thank you!

Hello, if you want I have material, the only thing is that I am from Spain …
I could try to send it to you, the only thing is that I do not take money, if you have some interesting material fine, if not, then I try to send it anyway
Cheers

2 Likes

Hi again Dan,
I tried opening the research links under your post but they may have expired. Wondering if you could send me these via email?
The tree that I recently discovered near my property has all the characteristics of Adara including thorns on its mature scaffolds. This tree is at least 20 years old as I have watched it grow for years not knowing where it came from. If somehow I can verify it’s genus I would be willing to provide scions to others, but for now I am merely wanting to positively ID it.
Dennis
Kent, wa

The first document is still working but the Prune Research report is gone.

From your description, I highly doubt that what you have is Adara since the latter was bred in Spain and released in the early 90’s, feel free to post photos if it still has leaves on.

Maybe what you call Adara is not the same as Prunus cerasifera, which is described in the following excerpt from the Burke Museun in Seattle:
Prunus cerasifera cherry plum
Distribution: Occurring chiefly west of the Cascades crest and in the Columbia River Gorge in Washington, but also in southeastern Washington; British Columbia to California, east to Idaho; also in northeastern North America.
Habitat: Open, disturbed areas typically at low elevations.
Origin: Introduced
Flowers: March-April

I do not have pics when it was fully leaved out, but in spring when it flowers I can document what it looks like.
Dennis

Prunus cerasifera is a species, Adara is a particular variety of that species.

3 Likes

What do the leaves look like? I have a multigraft tree that has cherries, nectarine, peach, apricot, and plum. The tree produced a sucker and I’m not sure if it’s from the rootstock or Adara interstem.

1 Like

It’s purely plum, I can take a photo for you tomorrow, it keeps its leaves really late.

1 Like

Hello
It is a relatively new pattern chosen in Spain by selection, if that pattern is several years old it is difficult for it to be. That yes, it can be a relative

1 Like