Addiction comes in many forms

I’m up to 350 pear trees going in the ground this year.

1 Like

I’ve got a few hundred acorns, pawpaw, and persimmon seeds in the fridge to grow out in spring. And a tentative order for apple rootstocks, maybe some pears too. Oh, and fig cuttings coming in.

2 Likes

Well that’s what I told the wife, and I’m sticking to it! :wink:

3 Likes

Ampersand,
Since you grow trees as an occupation I can’t imagine how hard it would be to resist everything that comes in! You have a lot of trees available to you :grinning:

1 Like

It is great to be addicted up to the point it becomes self defeating. I generally get the best, highest brix fruit from the trees that get the most sun. My urge to try “everything” always seems to lead to overcrowding even though in Spring it looks like there is plenty of space.

The later a variety ripens the more it is affected by encroaching shade of nearby trees.

Just a thought that might inspire some needed discipline for those that don’t have unlimited space. It is better to have two well spaced trees than four crowding ones, IMO, both for overall yield and quality.

2 Likes

Not quite how you would think, though. Since it’s a garden center I mostly sell common stuff, so I can’t stand it at home. Thus my interest in odd stuff that mostly isn’t easily available.

1 Like

Its true, some some people have no sence of moderation. I am one of those people, but growing fruit is a good outlet for that energy. I just need to think about where things are going. My property looks like an experiment station with a around two hundred verietys of fruit .:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I could see that, it would be the same for me.

Yes, I don’t! unfortunately my wife does, and a happy wife is a happy life!

Alan,
You always have lots of good ideas and advice on trees. Wish you lived here in Kansas but i suspect if you did your advice might be to move to better orchard country lol. I was shocked earlier to here you were dropping a Korean Giant on Harbin. I don’t think I could bring myself to do that at this point. It’s to hard to grow a tree like that here. The addiction with fruit I imagine people like you and fruitnut and others have long since dealt with in one way or another.

Just wait until you guys retire, and you have lots of time on your hands.

2 Likes

When one has limited space, one needs to be creative like getting rid of a row of Rose of Sharon so more fruit trees can go in there.

I call my plan creative. My hubby call it nuts.

4 Likes

conversely, when one has too much ‘dead space’, it feels like it will take forever to get them greened up.
since am home farming in one of the most hostile places in usa(too cold for most citrus and tropicals in winter, and too dry and hot for most other fruits in summer), my approach was rather extravagant(glad am not alone when it comes to extravagance lol), but it bought instant results

i did shotgun-dense plantings , and those which thrived(with the least of care) were kept, while those that lagged or faltered, were removed and re-planted elsewhere or given away(if still alive that is).

1 Like

I have two un-touched lawns that are crying out for fruit trees. The orchard is separate from the rest of my property. It is always tempting to ‘fill in the blanks’. I know where there is room, however should another must have tree comes along.

1 Like

I still have room for more Blueberry plants on my carport roof. Brady

2 Likes

Brady,

How the ph up there :slight_smile:

Save yourself while there is still time. I used to be a sane man with normal hobbies that could be explained in one or two sentences. I’m now referred to as “that apple guy”, kind of like they referred to Aunt Jennie who had the special room in the house right off the kitchen.

Take up bat suit flying or some other saner hobby…

4 Likes

Not as high as the altitude.I have to be more concerned with falling than anything else. Brady

Mamuang, I think a row of fruit trees or berry bushes is as beautiful as a row of Rose of Sharon. Maybe some Korean Cherries, beautiful flowers, beautiful fruits, bush size? If they like your climate.

Or genetic dwarf peaches. The flowers are as extravagant as any ornamental.

1 Like

Bear,
Thanks for the suggestions. I try to follow a spray-less practice. So far, peaches are “spray-more” while cherries falls into a " taste-less" category.

That area also gets about 5 hrs of sun right now. If I could move a maple tree out of the way, it will get 7-8 hours of sun. Guess what I want to do?:slight_smile:

2 Likes