Agressive blueberry pruning

I love Northland. Chandler is fun because they are huge. I’ll have to add Duke next year. Mine are all in pots in pure peatmoss. I just fertilize a few times and make sure i water them (the pots are actually in the ground). They look perfect so everything must be workin g.

Yes, it is likely our cold winters keep the size down, though many have lowbush parentage so are not likely to get to five feet, which is fine with me. They are all generous producers though so I’m happy to kneel to pick!

These are my babies. Northsky, northblue, and Northcountry. All half-highs that will be under 3 feet. Only 2 months old :smile:

I have to keep sharing with you all cause my family just keeps giving me the “What are you talking about” looks. My Bonus blueberry (4-6 ft) will be here next spring.

The lowbush plants have their place for sure, and they are good too! I have little room so prefer NHB, Some can produce over 20 pounds per plant.Although I’m not near that per plant. I’m still learning how to grow blueberries. The plant pictured is not at full height, not till the 5th year. Some NHB get to 8 feet. I prefer growing the smaller types in pots. I have one, Cara’s Choice.

1 Like

I do get quite a few berries from the Northern’s. Here is Liberty which is only about 3 feet tall right now.

Is that not a beautiful sight?
Like your berries big? Try Chandler!

4 Likes