I wanted to continue this coversation here.
It would not surprise me a bit if the Red Limbertwig and Winesap were sibling seeds from the same tree. WSU shows no Ark Black parentage and only one parent for the Black Twig. NAFEX is showing Red Limbertwig/Winesap parentage for both. I’m no Red Limbertwig expert, but the ones I remember eating a couple decades ago were semi-conical just like Winesaps.
I recently read many Limbertwigs were piss poor pollinators. It’s interesting the Winesap has sterile pollen but isn’t triploid. For years, the Ark Black was thought to be triploid until it was discovered it wasn’t since the pollen was reportedly not viable. This quirkiness may be manifesting in some Limbertwigs as well. It seems someone or people in general were very enthusiastic about the Winesap and went crazy planting seeds. I would have as well. The Winesap is one of my favorites.