All Things Cold Hardy Citrus, news, thoughts and evaluations

Thanks, I’ll check out this info later when I have some time. I got some specimens that are supposedly the earliest ripening variety that still has excellent commercial quality flavor. They produce fruit every year in coastal areas around the Black Sea which is very similar climatically to the Pacific Northwest on the wet side or the mountains. I actually got LOTS of gorgeous blooms last summer. Unfortunately none of the fruit set. I’m hoping it’s because the plant was only 3 years old at the time. I should have lots of those this summer after rooting the cuttings. I’ve got them going in the greenhouse now.

1 Like

A Filipino friend of mine made something resembling sour orange marmalade out of kaffir hystrix fruit. Less sweet, more pungent and bitter, used as a condiment on fish and in stews and fruit salad. It was good in what I tasted!

3 Likes

Cool. I’m guessing that wouldn’t go well with my palate. I usually don’t even like orange, lemon, lime zest or peel, and hate kumquats.

But good to hear of other uses.

3 Likes

Citrus zest and kumquats…:yum:

3 Likes

Three

2 Likes

Let’s continue the pomegranate conversation over here (to avoid derailing the Citrus conversation):

3 Likes

Does this look like Yuzu to anyone who grows it? It was a seedling grown from a miscellaneous citrus seed jar that included all sorts of things, including yuzu:

I planted it in the ground today based on my hunch it might be yuzu.

3 Likes

Definitely looks like something with ichang papeda in its ancestry, what with the bipartite leaves.

My ichang lemon has a much shorter first segment, and is much more bushy.

3 Likes

I agree it looks like an yuzu. What’s your opinion about the ichang papeda taste?

2 Likes

Ichang lemon is currently the only one I have that has ichang papeda genetics, and it hasn’t fruited for me yet.

1 Like

It looks like a match to my Yuzu.
IMG_1983

2 Likes

I got some trifoliate orange seeds, that I’m going to start. Do they need a period of cold stratification, soaking before planting, clipping or scratching the seed hull?

I have had excellent results planting citrus seed straight from the fruit.

Good luck

3 Likes

No @swincher leaves have a 50/50 size distribution for the bifoliate leave. That would make give it a little more papeda genetics maybe a makrut seedling very strongly 50/50 distribtuion.

not realy. I made some trifoliate syrup a few years ago and dumped the seeds into a ziplock. They where starting to sprout by the time I gave them away to a forum member here.

1 Like

I got a 2 years old trifoliate seedling tree from your seed growing on the side of my new house. I buried the whole tree with snow when the -21F hit us about 2 weeks ago. We are in the melting snow process right now with the temp in the 40s and 50s by next week. I will check to see if it is still alive in a few days then give you guys an update. Zone 5.

Tony

3 Likes

I did not have any other papeda descendants in the mixed jar other than yuzu. Maybe it’s just a self-pollinated zygotic yuzu seedling that’s showing more papeda characteristics than the parent? The only other things in the mixed jar were stuff like oranges, key limes, kumquats, and kumquat hybrids (mandarinquat and limequat). This doesn’t resemble any of those to my eye, so I assumed it was yuzu.

Here’s an updated photo from today, the leaves look a bit damaged but the stems seem fine after 14.7°F as the low a couple weeks ago:

2 Likes

I Take it back an yuzu seedling at least for sure.

1 Like

My yuzu having been protected with lights and remay.
Low of 6F, approx 13F protected.
If last year is any guide, the curved up leaves will drop off midsummer.
IMG_2106

1 Like

Here is the trifoliate seed that you sent. It survived -21F with snow covered the whole seedling. Lucky little one. Z5.

Tony

5 Likes