All Things Cold Hardy Citrus, news, thoughts and evaluations

mrtexas, Been meaning to ask your opinion of the most cold tolerant citrus that also has acceptable flavor?

I thought the curvy ones were the flying dragon?

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=33514.msg366219#msg366219

satsuma

1 Like

Very occasionally you get a hybrid from flying dragon seeds. it is very obvious in that the thorns are longer and the stem more contorted. A friend grew one of those citranges out and named it dragon lime. It was an unknown hybrid of flying dragon and most likely satsuma. DragonLime - mrtexascitrus

1 Like

I saw the grocery store (a PCC in Seattle) had a giant pile of “locally grown” satsumas for pretty cheap this week, so I got a big bag of them. Says they are from Oregon, I’m guessing probably in a greenhouse though? They have very good flavor and only ~1 seed per fruit, so I’m contemplating trying to grow some out.

Nice website. Surprised you can ripen a papaya in one season. I’m going to try in 7b but might have to use green for salad

I grew many Flying Dragon by seeds. For me most of them were like standard Pt… FD is highly zygotic for me.
It might be different for every plant.
Satsumas are not cold hardy enough when you are living outside of the citrus world. They can`t endure long frost periods, But even with our milder winters in the last years (with occasional short frosts) it is not hardy without protection some P.t. hybrids are hardy (but not really edible)

P.S. I am living in northern Germany.

3 Likes

I have a few Mexican Sweet Lemons.
Does anyone know about it’s growing habits
hardiness
Disease resistant?

1 Like

If it’s a small tree, it might be good for containers

1 Like

Not cold hardy and the juice tastes like sugar water. Pomona acidless lemon?

Yeah
I tasted one this morning.
Pretty bland
Not enough acids.
I’ll grow a few anyway.

What I’m really looking for is
Mandarinquat seeds.
They never show up in my local area stores

3 Likes

The only time I’ve seen them is at Whole Foods last winter (Frieda brand bagged fruit), but I’ve been trying to avoid shopping at any Amazon stores, including Whole Foods, and I believe you said you do the same in another thread. I’ll keep an eye out for them at PCC over the next month or so, I’d be happy to give you seeds if they do turn up!

1 Like

Thank you
Any Citrus seed you want?

Not until I get around to building my greenhouse! Hopefully this year, but the list of house projects keeps growing and some others are more urgent, so might have to put it off another year.

I’ll be focusing mostly on cold-hardy avocados, though, not citruses, both in the eventual greenhouse and in my warmest microclimates around the yard.

I’ll let you know if I manage to get any mandarinquats in the grocery store this season, though. :grin:

Indio mq is extremely sour. Can’t be eaten out of hand unless you are into lemon levels of sour. Good only as a lemon substitute or marmalade IMHO. A friend has a large tree but probably mostly too late.

I am finding places that sell the fruit online, and they usually start selling the fruit in January. This one actually lets you buy a small quantity. Mandarinquats - 1 Pound | Pearson Ranch

Yet the impression I am getting is that even locally most places would not start selling until January if the crops are not delayed. You might be looking a week, or two, or three too early.

There is also this one which has the price with the shipping included for 5 times more fruit Buy Mandarinquats-Order Mandarinquats Online

2 Likes

@anon47724557
What’s the major advantage of using Flying Dragon as the root stock vs the standard trifoliate orange. I have two Satsumas from mckenzie farms. I believe the root stocks are starndard trifoliate oranges. On one tree, I let the root stock to grow one main branch. I plan to plant it in the ground again in the Spring. Basically grow the root stock to a good branching structure, then graft the satsuma owari scions onto the branches. And see if it can produce fruits this way. If yes, I will just graft it every spring. I don’t mind doing that.

Also my two satsuma trees are now in bloom. I kept them indoors, 70F since Dec. Is it normal?
Satsuma%20Owari

1 Like

@anon47724557 How are you holding up during this disaster?

Did you find any?