All Things Cold Hardy Citrus, news, thoughts and evaluations

No @swincher leaves have a 50/50 size distribution for the bifoliate leave. That would make give it a little more papeda genetics maybe a makrut seedling very strongly 50/50 distribtuion.

not realy. I made some trifoliate syrup a few years ago and dumped the seeds into a ziplock. They where starting to sprout by the time I gave them away to a forum member here.

1 Like

I got a 2 years old trifoliate seedling tree from your seed growing on the side of my new house. I buried the whole tree with snow when the -21F hit us about 2 weeks ago. We are in the melting snow process right now with the temp in the 40s and 50s by next week. I will check to see if it is still alive in a few days then give you guys an update. Zone 5.

Tony

3 Likes

I did not have any other papeda descendants in the mixed jar other than yuzu. Maybe itā€™s just a self-pollinated zygotic yuzu seedling thatā€™s showing more papeda characteristics than the parent? The only other things in the mixed jar were stuff like oranges, key limes, kumquats, and kumquat hybrids (mandarinquat and limequat). This doesnā€™t resemble any of those to my eye, so I assumed it was yuzu.

Hereā€™s an updated photo from today, the leaves look a bit damaged but the stems seem fine after 14.7Ā°F as the low a couple weeks ago:

2 Likes

I Take it back an yuzu seedling at least for sure.

1 Like

My yuzu having been protected with lights and remay.
Low of 6F, approx 13F protected.
If last year is any guide, the curved up leaves will drop off midsummer.
IMG_2106

1 Like

Here is the trifoliate seed that you sent. It survived -21F with snow covered the whole seedling. Lucky little one. Z5.

Tony

5 Likes

What temp is Yuzu actually hardy to?

Yuzu seems only hardy to somewhere in the mid teens since Iā€™ve lost multiple of them hereā€¦

1 Like

@ coolmantoole
Have you tried Franklin Citrus Farm just south of Statesboro?
We bought a lot of fruit and some young plants from them. Their Shiranui, Kishu, and Satsumas are delicious.

I know one of the owners. Yes Iā€™ve had some of their fruit.

I figured you might. Seems like good people.

Yes.

Check out this new hybrid Citrus! Apparently it was bred by a private individual (not sure who) and hasnā€™t been named yet. It seems pretty promising as it is suitable for fresh eating.

5 Likes

I should try crossing some Satsumas with some Trifoliate myself, for fun at least, who would of thought it was possible!

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping more details emerge about this one. Iā€™m skeptical that the F1 child of a trifoliate is actually what the average Joe would consider suitable for fresh eating. Us hardy citrus enthusiasts sometimes have a bit more tolerance for sourness, bitterness, resin, seediness, dryness, etc. than most folks.

Iā€™m really curious which satsuma it was. Xie Shan or one of the other really early ones would be awesome, but Iā€™d expect something like Owari is more likely.

That being said, this one does look quite good, and I canā€™t imagine it not being quite cold hardy, perhaps more so than many of the current trifoliate hybrids, which is saying something.

Oh, itā€™s possible, just really, really hard haha! Different bloom times, small, fragile flowers on trifoliate, mostly seedless fruit and mostly sterile pollen on satsuma, extremely high rates of nucellar seed for bothā€“I donā€™t wanna know how many cross pollination attempts that one took, sheesh.

3 Likes

Are we absolutely certain thatā€™s not just Prague that someone is claiming is a hybrid they created? I donā€™t mean to be overly skeptical, but I usually start with disbelief for basically anything on YouTube.

The video description says this (miho wase), and seems to be trying to sell seeds?

3 Likes

Ah, missed that, and he even said it in the video. I watched the other week but didnā€™t pay much attention apparently. Hmm, UCR says Nov-Dec for Miho Wase, so I guess thatā€™s a pretty standard ripening for satsuma.

I think itā€™s legit. That fruit sure doesnā€™t look like a satsuma or like Prague, and his description of the taste is also different. It having a lot of off-flavors which he was charitably describing as pineapple and grapefruit also would point in the direction of it having trifoliate as a parent (or maybe grandparent? I could believe this being a trifoliate hybrid x satsuma if it actually does taste as good as heā€™s saying it does.).

3 Likes

This is where I admit that I didnā€™t watch the video, so I was just basing my theory on the screenshot shown above. I am basically unable to watch videos, I donā€™t have the patience for the format and would rather read 30 pages of text and diagrams than watch a 2 minute video :joy:. When someone posts a video, I usually just read the description and hope I got the gist.

4 Likes

Iā€™ll admit I only rewatched the video after your postā€¦ Seems weā€™ve both been lazy.

2 Likes