Amelanchier- juneberry, saskatoon serviceberry,etc

Yes , I have grated unknown good varieties from landscape plantings to the Wild A. Canadensis , graft easily , productive.

2 Likes

Reading through this old thread. Every year I tell myself I’m going to do something to interrupt the various scourges of my Amelanchiers. We have several species / varieties endemic here. In particular I have a sizable patch of running / stoloniferous type that seems to grow very well here. Unfortunately, my yield year after year is essentially nil despite a fair bit of care and encouragement. Obviously birds are problematic, especially waxwings. I’ve noticed similar bug issues as @JesseS . I’m not sure the species, but it may be some type of curculio or fruit worm specific to Amelanchier. Fruits have a small black wound and mostly drop before ripe. Those that hang are not really edible. I’ve also noticed what appears to be something akin to mummy berry. For years, Bloom is always heavy, fruit set is often quite good, but I’d say I lose close to 90% before the fruit is even 1/2 sized.
Years ago, I house sat for a neighbor up the rd. a spell. Her parents had moved up from CT in the 40’s and had planted and tended their homestead. Her mother was very fond of Amelanchier and both planted and left all that sprang up to grow. Her trees fruit heavily most years, and though they do get some insect damage, there are so many still to pick.
I have some alnifolia selections, and curiously they seem unbothered by the insects and pathogens on my nearby native types. Now, with buds swelling and ready to burst, I’m again wondering what I should do to intervene.

1 Like

These native running types have the most amazing bud break. The new shoots literally erupt out of them in otherworldly fashion. Not sure on the species ID. Amelanchier is a total mess from what I gather. Anybody familiar with this type? It abounds on shallow shaley ledge soil here, in association with lowbush blueberry, or perhaps it’s really better called bilberry. The buds are very distinct: long and pointy, very red with white fuzz poking out between the bud scales. It’s more vigorous than my alnifolias but most similar to them in form. The fruit is quite good, IMO.

3 Likes

I tried my hand at growing Jennybelle Juneberry since last year. Still alive, but it clearly does not like my climate, and many of the buds look tantalizingly close to breaking while refusing to actually do so.

1 Like