Ancient yet modern, popular yet unknown. The Chinese Jujube

“Moderately warm” doesn’t give us much information. People grow jujubes successfully in Florida which is warm, wet and sea level.

Haha. Good to know. I’m in coastal VA so not that warm. Are you saying any will do fine here? They don’t mind occasional wet feet and lots of fungal pressure?

I think those are concerns. Florida jujube growers have some distinct preferences as to which varieties do best there. But I’m in California so I’m not that familiar with them. You might want to talk to the folks at this Florida nursery if you don’t get a response from someone here. http://www.justfruitsandexotics.com/JFE/product-category/fruit-trees/jujuba/

2 Likes

I get 49" of rain and my trees are healthy and zero maintenance. Fruit set is my biggest issue.

1 Like

My Honey Jar graft has not grown much in the last two years, will it start growing with age or will it always be small?

For me in Maryland fruit set has also been the biggest issue. We had a long-running thread here on that topic.

1 Like

For Shihong, maybe Just Fruits and Exotics next spring, or maybe Rolling River. I got mine from Roger Myer but he’s passed

Juju,
Does New England qualify for a " cold, wet, short growing season".

I just ordered Chico for this spring. Oh, well!!

1 Like

if remember it right, @scottfsmith(or maybe @BobVance) mentioned having talked to Cliff(England) who said that chico never fruited in kentucky, and that they have had their trees for several years.

when we obtained ours 3 or 4 yrs ago, it didn’t fruit as much right away, but precocious enough to fruit on the bare-root. The stems i obtained from it also fruited–but so much more than the bare root source itself, perhaps because i grafted them on vigorous, established trees with plenty of food reserves in their roots.

best options would be to graft them high to get most sun, or graft to a seedling and plant in the sunniest spot of your property

i had that problem with shanxi li and some hj’s, which didn’t grow vegetatively for two to three years. HJ and shanxi were so much in demand that Mr Meyer had to use the less desirable stems(laterals).
sometimes if may just be due to a really old, declining sucker(it is possible, even with jujus!) and all you really need to do is take a segment and graft to a vigorous tree/sucker.
if the graft is actually on a vigorous tree/rootstock, it is likely that you grafted it on to a lateral stem instead of upright growth. You could simply just remove it and graft it to upright stems.
lastly, if not getting enough sun, grafts typically lose apical dominance. And with laterals, it often needs as much light it could get to be metabolically relevant.
lastly, if you don’t want to risk removing the graft, you could simply get rid of all buds and vegetative growth of your tree/rootstock(of course this is advisable only if your tree/rootstoc is small) Also destroy all the buds on the rootstock to ‘reassign’ the apical growth to that sole scion.

that’s the trouble with jujus, but i guess it is the same for other fruits as well, as it puts an emphasis on the tenet–" all fruit-growing is local"
while we’ve accorded high praises for certain cultivars, we no longer dissuade people from trying other varieties which we didn’t like, because those varieties might be so much better quality in their respective locations.

incidentally @castanea, we are so excited to get to try Black sea the second time around, and hopefully get to try your patent-worthy ‘Orange beauty’ !

li is always a good cultivar to start with, being readily available, and proven to be fruitful in moist/wet regions. @Livinginawe grows his in superhumid florida, and i think he has had some success.

1 Like

I’ve got, and am harvesting, jujubes here in Michigan.

Actually, where I live in Mi is directly north of Windsor, Ontario (Canada)! I live about 10 miles north of Canada, in the continental US.

For me, Honey Jar and So are my best growers/producers.

Growth the first couple years was slow and production was non-existent until the plants were about 4 years old.

Scott

how could i have forgotten-- @Chills is the ultimate proof!

Juju,
My Chico will be pot-grown until I am able to convince my daughter that a maple tree we have does not really do anything for us but provides shade to our neighbor who does not even like us :grin:

1 Like

My shanxi li runted out. The rootstock stem has been damaged by vertical cracks (I suspect weather related) and the graft never really put out much growth.

It may have one last chance as it will no longer be shaded as I cut down the hazelnuts which had previously been shading it. I may one day try to regraft it, perhaps.

Scott

1 Like

good luck! Chico may just be the holy grail equivalent when grown in massachusetts, along with sherwood/gi-1183/porterville/ga-866 if you could get it to fruit :slight_smile:

likely another lateral stem scion in the puppy-mill business model. Of course, it wasn’t Roger’s fault that the demand was so high. Glad it is still alive though

I’m not sure if the graft is (still alive), but I think the rootstock is.

Ever seen a rootstock split vertically on jujube? Do you paint the trunks of jujube trees?

Scott

i hope it still leafs out in spring.

juju trunks don’t get sunburnt so no need to paint the trunks. We actually grow many of them against a west-facing wall with no ill-effects during 113F summers here.

I sent Cliff stem wood from my Chico jujube this winter. We’ll see if that works any better for him.

1 Like

I’ve had eucalyptus trees die from the heat here but I’ve never seen sunburn on a jujube. I did have a couple of trees that weren’t watered for at least a couple of months during the summer and they had some die-back the next year, but still no sunburn.