And here comes the freeze

Lows from this morning…

Looks like Springfield and Joplin were 40 , I was right at 32, with light frost

I think you guys must have worn out Larry Schafer, because he went home
early today, before I could talk to him. Fortunately, I was able to talk to Dell
Christianson, who seemed to be just as knowledgeable as Larry. The NWS just changed my forecast to a low Sunday night of 37 and 36 on monday night, but with patchy frost tuesday morning. Since the daytime highs will be above 60 both days, he suggested holding off spraying, until sunday afternoon. He told me to monitor the forecast and even to call him on sunday (What a Guy) and that I might be able to skip spraying altogether. Let’s hope that everybody’s forecasts improves and none of us has to spray.

1 Like

Wow…are you in a cold spot? Yup…both were 40F …windy today
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KJLN.html
http://w1.weather.gov/data/obhistory/KSGF.html

The cities I think kind of make their own heat. They take the readings out at the airports but it is always cooler out in sticks where I live, less asphalt I guess.

Covering mine isn’t going to happen. Wind is blowing 20-25 with gust to 35. Even if I could get blankets on them they will just beat ever fruit off the tree anyways. I put on a bunch of Christmas lights. That’s going to have to do it. Forecast low is 30. I did make a vertical wall to help stop the wind.

1 Like

I planted some hascaps one had green tips on it and now they are brown. I thought with it being so hardy I wouldn’t have to worry. Everything here is dormant still. My peaches and nectarines are in the white pussywillow stage. Some of those buds might have died with the wet rain and cold? The some I speak of are the ones that are black. I put a five gal bucket over my hascaps. I have my first Crocus ready to bloom.

1 Like

Johnny,

Check this out and compare the pics with your fruit buds.

http://orchardkeeper.com/pdf/IllustratedSpringFrostDamageThresholds.pdf.

Only my pears and one mirabelle are showing a hint of green at the very tip. Everything else is silver or closed tight! :heart_eyes:

This is the potted whitegold cherry looks like this afternoon. It was in garage all winter and probably due to unheated garage environment, it wakes up fairly early. To play safe, I may have to bring it to our kitchen starting Sat night (3-5 inch of snow, lowest 31F) until Tue morning :frowning:
Any thoughts?

Infinite,
Check the link. Your cherry buds should be fine as long as temp is above 24-25 F. 31F should be fine.

Don’t bring the tree in the house. Leave it in the garage. You only will push buds to bloom sooner than they should if you move it inside the house.

1 Like

I want to say they went from the second picture then to looking like the first. This happens every year then they are dead. I think I live in a micro cold climate with warm spells.

Warm spell way before last frost is very tough. Where I leave temp swing this year did not last long enough to wake the trees.

1 Like

Well the winds calmed down to almost nothing. I was able to drape my frost cloths over the canopies. My sensor under says 38 Outside is just now hitting 31

2 Likes

Snow covered here and 32F…already melting some.

International Falls, MN is currently sitting at 2F.

1 Like

I am in Raleigh and trying to figure out how much to cover. Based on a current projected low right at freezing, I think the fruitlets are likely to be ok on the plums and peaches. I am trying to figure out what to put in a slightly heated greenhouse space and what to just toss under a frost blanket with some water bottles. Particularly, I just got a bunch of rooted figs and don’t know how hardy they actually are. I have them sunk into a mulched row, and don’t know if I should, like, bubble wrap a five gallon pot to cover the plant overnight, or if they are fine how they are, or move them under covers or what. Expected lows are somewhere right around freezing.

It got down to 26 both last night, and night before at my place 25 miles North of Omaha (Only today I get up to snow cover… Not a lot, maybe 1/4" but still coming. predicted less than an inch) but my stuff isn’t too far along. I’m thinking things will be alright.

1 Like

Got down to 29F last night with very light snow on the ground. Predicted 26 F late Sunday night. I will bring all the rooted figs inside.

Tony

Drew, it’s funny that your prunus are at the pink bud stage. I’m probably about 12-15 miles from you and the only tree with anything interesting happening for me is my hazelnuts. Catkins are between 50-100% fully extended. My cherries, plums and nectarine haven’t even started swelling or doing anything. The lake (less than 1/2 mile away, L. St Clair) moderates the cold in the winter and keeps my yard cooler as spring warms up as well.

I will try and post the dates I first see blooms open on the cherries, plums, nectarines and apples (if you are interested).

My honeyberries are all pushing leaves, some more than others. I was worried because they didn’t look that good at the end of the last growing season (their first)

Scott

1 Like

Yes, as it relates to my cottage on the St Clair River. I’m going to dig my honeyberries up at the cottage, and bring them here. Boat does not start running till 04-09-16, so I can’t do it any sooner. They just are not thriving there. Well i could get up there earlier, but I have no interest in asking for a ride over from friends. Every summer I’m a weekend warrior, running there till November just about every weekend. No hurry to start! I ordered more honeyberries, and put myself on a waiting list for some new hybrid Japanese cultivars which are very different from the Eastern European types. Haskaps in general are referring the the Japanese cultivars. The Euro ones should be called honeyberries. They have very different taste profiles. Looking forward to both!

1 Like