Anise flavoured apples

Milo Gibson is a good apple, and I’m keeping it. As with most cider apples, its texture is a bit tough. I wouldn’t describe it as overly sweet. I have other apples that ripen at the same time that are better IMHO for eating out of hand and for cooking. Sweet 16 is one of those.

I’m having trouble with the Sweet 16 tree though. There are three trees (Sweet 16, Wolf River, and Golden Russet, all on B9) along that side of the yard that have not put on a lot of new growth in the last couple of years. Golden Russet died, and I took it out. I’d hate to lose Sweet 16 and Wolf River. I’ve eMailed the County Extension Agent, and they blame the Polar Vortex in whatever year that occurred. I’d just like to see some rebound from winter kill if that’s what it was. I’m concerned that it may be herbicide in mulch applied years ago, herbicide applied recently by the neighbors, or perhaps black walnut growth inhibitors at work along that edge of my property.

3 Likes

Sounds like long-lasting herbicides or juglone might be your problem.
Not temperatures.

1 Like

My Sweet Sixteen and Golden Russet trees came through a number of polar vortexes just fine. They are on b118 and antonovka however.

2 Likes

i was gonna say, isnt sweet 16 z3 hardy? i thought it was.

1 Like

Yep…unless grafted to a bad choice for rootstock.

1 Like

B9 is supposed to be hardy.

1 Like

I’d expect b9 to do just fine in 5b

2 Likes

I have personally found lots of anise in Freyburg and Mutsu. Not always, but plenty of times. Dr. Matthews and Fennouillet Gris never had any.

4 Likes

Thanks… I have Frostbite too…it’s unusual…I love it .like malt…or a bit like drinking maple sap.

3 Likes

Malt syrup and maple sap…bring it on.

3 Likes

…but basil which is quite common in Italian foods can sometimes be anise like…

3 Likes

I bought some nice apples called Sissi Red last summer, the first few tasted of anise but the last few didn’t so may disappear in storage. Some nice complex aromas there.

Was also just reading about french apple Azeroli Anise which is said to have a strong anise flavour.

3 Likes

I wasn’t even looking but I have one apple I just stumbled upon (Mendus apple history article quoted)
Another apple believed to date from Roman days is COURT PENDU PLAT, a flat roundish apple which grows tight against the branch like a peach, which the French pomologist LeRoy said “has an aftertaste of musky anise deliciously perfuming the mouth.”

(aniseed but doesn’t work for search on that site)
Court Pendu Plat
(if link does not work 3 should pop up search anise)
skip see second post
Advanced Search

A few things to add

What do you search for online When searching for anise flavored apples?
See #2

I like the anise (black) Licorice taste ---- actually been using ever clear to make a Liquorish flavoring
with peoples flavors I find sometimes opposites attract people that like different tastes is genetic ,
and bring different things to the table (although sometimes similar people work well as well
(music experience)
(even on a business side of things working together making money collaborating making music etc. )

if this interests you or maybe some better google results could pop up
#2 Just out of curiosity I was looking at a Gene site (rosaceae.org) I wanted to find what to search
I did not have any luck on that site, but at least Searching goolge only took 3 seconds to find out one chemical responsible for the anise site

I looked up what gene locus in malus licorice taste -

the chemical
answer
allylanil

gene locus in malus licorice taste -and this locus is linked to a QTL for the aromatic compound allylanil (M1) associated with anise and licorice descriptors on the LG 15

I also translated that to Italian

allinile malus
(i searched google)

2 Likes

Also note Maybe a French speaking person can help searching that chemical in another launguage
I did not have much luck with allinile , and malus , but a good trick to look stuff up in others mother tongue.

(search on that site brings up these )
anis rosalie court of wick , fenouillet gris (last already mentioned on this topic )

Someone mentioned Basil having a Anise flavor
I have a good list, but was surprised when I bought high quality lavender ( for cheap on sale )
when I added it to some dish (I forget ) but had meat it tasted like the meatballs on pizza with fennel , but not in another food so I think it combined with the meat gave it a liquorice taste , but at first wasn’t sure what to do with it other then tea (yes I know pastries / baking. )

1 Like

It is interesting what you wrote there…I was also wondering about the Kazakhstan apples that are of such interest now because of the gene pool…and what might be the genetic contributor, not just to anise flavour but the whole variety of unique esters that are found in apples. I can think of several things with that flavour , aside from licorice root, there is anise, licorce mint, thai basil, angelica, tarragon, chervil, fennel, star anise…just to name a few, i know there are many more…

3 Likes

I’m not the best with subtle flavors, but I think Summerred has some of that. Its a tasty apple, anyway and has that something extra sort of like Sweet 16.

2 Likes

The Cinnamon Spice apples I bought from a local market had no cinnamon flavor but tasted very strongly of anise! Certainly an interesting, surprising flavor, if not something I’d really seek out.

3 Likes

@franc1969

That’s a good list of cultivars.

@Mer

Cinnamon spice here in Kansas can have a prominent cinnamon flavor. Ate some this year @39thparallel orchard. We discussed them in detail and he mentioned the flavor is always good but some years the cinnamon flavor is stronger than other years. In the field I noticed it but the ones I ate after I got home had less cinnamon flavor. It varies from one apple to another dependinding on sunlight and other factors , one year is different than another year and location is always different. A trick I use when I want the most pronounced flavor on the tree is look hard until I find a deformed fruit in full sunlight on an older tree and eat that one. A secret among wine growers is a good grape year is good across the board if the wine is $20 a bottle or $200. Grapes are either sugary and sweet or sour. All fruit has good years and bad years. More said here The taste of fruit or is it?

2 Likes

Cinnamon the Common Marble size crab apples the city plants have cinnamon flavor
Wonder if it has some of the Gene’s of the crab.

Supper sour though you can freeze in freezer to break down fruit, and make tea
(or cool it like a cider has a cinnamon taste to it, and better then Normal cider from the store.)

On a different note I have a crab with a sour soap bitter flavor sounds strange,
but should come out good in a wine (or cider) the flavors really change after aging .
(anise wines good, but the smell not good at all unless vomit smells good (at room temp)

Just learned of a new Anise Flavor herb as well today (for later)
but never did mention also MExican Avocado leaves have a liquorish flavor
(warning not other avocado species or races they are poison so do not make hass avocado tea)
I got a big bad for cheap at the Mexican store a while back just finally tried it a month ago it’s good.

1 Like