Any hope for this apricot tree and help me choose another tree!

Yes, I think it’s possible.

Another issue to consider for your location is hardiness. St Jullian A is specifically described as winter hardy. I’m not sure whether hardiness of Citation is well documented.

1 Like

I can’t decide what to do. Both rootstocks have property I need, but none have them all.
Citation
Peaches and nectarines dwarfed to 8 to 14 feet. Apricots and plums dwarfed to 3/4 of standard. Very tolerant of wet soil, induces early dormancy in dry soil. Very winter hardy. Resists root-knot nematodes. Trees bear at young age. (Zaiger)

St. Julian “A”
Semi-dwarf rootstock for cold areas with fluctuating spring temperatures due to inconsistent spring weather conditions. Preferred over Citation in north coastal mountains and Oregon.

1 Like

We survived the winter! Now the question is if we can survive the spring :grin:. What temperature is bud killing at this stage of development?

Per Freeze Damage Chart that @Auburn posted a while back.

0 F is the killing temp. I try to tell myself that we won’t get down to 0F from this point on. This may be the year that you and I get some apricots. If this is called counting my chickens before they are hatched. Guilty as charged :smile: .

3 Likes

Are your apricots in the same stage? I try to figure out if my cover did good or bad in terms of too early blooming.

1 Like

Yes. Same stage. I did not cover them this year.

Which variety you have Har something, right?

2 Likes

yes, Harglow

My orange red apricot graft is about a foot long now. It had about 10 buds starting to turn pink. Today I noticed they dried up. I don’t think the cold weather killed them. Tree people who trimmed my near by trees damaged the peach tree and that apricot branch was a victim too. I treated it as a graft and wrapped it together before it broke off. I think that saved the branch but not the flowers. So no apricot for me after all this year. Yours look loaded. Hope you do get some apricots!

1 Like

Sue! Sue!

Galina,
Just checked. Mine may be a day or two ahead of yours.

Top one Robada, grafted the spring of 2017.

Bottom, Tomcot, grafted the spring of 2016.

1 Like

That is good, it means my cover works as expected to delay blooming! But also it may be climate difference, we actually in zone 5B here, and you in 6. Worcester is colder despite close miles distance from you. It is probably elevation. We still have snow on the ground.

We really need an empathy button here…

1 Like

Thanks.

I am inclined to think that my blooms are a tad ahead because my area was a bit warmer than yours. You are also in a higher elevation, not because of the covering.

1 Like

I thought I would tack this onto the existing thread as it will be an experiment to see if there is any hope for this apricot. I picked this apricot up today at the big box store. My existing top worked manchurian apricot looks pretty bad and I do not like its location . This will turn into a multi graft tree with any luck. It was in a 6 gallon pot , I pulled it out and washed all of the pine bark off and pruned all of the main roots that circled or pointed up to the top of the pot.

4 Likes

Jason,

You should take some cuttings and graft on some stone fruits just for insurance.

Tony

1 Like

My soil is very rocky and poor but I usually dug holes that are wide, even if I could not dig them as deep as I want to. I’d like to be able to spread roots out.

4 Likes

Good point, I could have saved some of those roots if had dug some trenches to lay them in, I learn something nearly every time I post here😊

1 Like

I had some pruned roots laying around after my apricot planting yesterday so I clipped a few sticks of amadiocot and grafted roots on them, not sure it is the correct time to do this but thought it would be a nice experiment

5 Likes

Let us know if it works!

1 Like