Any recommended surveillance cameras and capture cards?

I should add that placement can be tricky. I’ve been balancing it on a raised bed made out of logs, but it is easy to get knocked out of position.

I think that I had this one aimed well last night and it progressively tipped further up as the night went on. Even so, I got some info out of it- after I caught the skunk, I saw 2 raccoons go by, so at least I know what is left.

https://youtu.be/1wjViWD1PdU

Hey Bob, I wound up putting mine on wheels. This modified rig is what I use to move heavy pots. It’s pretty stable.

The foil on top is to provide some protection, mainly from sun as I’ll leave it out several days. I think that black plastic heats up to a temp the batteries don’t last long in. Idk.

But PLEASE tell…how did you handle the skunk. That is my biggest concern

Here is my vote on proper attire for skunk handling:

http://www.berner-safety.de/media/ck/1089/Highlights%20Tychem%20C%20GB.jpg

I actually keep one much like it in the trunk of my car

My method to handle a trapped skunk is to get an old blanket. Hold that up in front of you as you slowly approach the trap. That does two things: shields from any spray and calms the skunk. Lay the blanket over the trap. You can now move the trap wherever you need it. I haven’t been sprayed so far.

1 Like

I’ve been doing the same thing (basically a big shield), except I use a tarp. You definitely don’t want a sharp corner of the trap to catch on the blanket at a critical time :slight_smile:

So far I’ve caught 3 skunks and haven’t been sprayed. But, I’m still nervous when approaching and wear a bit of extra cloths, as well as my standard safety glasses and gloves.

OMG OMG hyperventilating. :astonished: Too scary.
OK so you have a tarp between you and the cage as you approach it, then you lay the tarp on the cage, then you …pick the cage up? Then do you drown it? Does it spray when you try to dispose of it? I have a bin I use to soak logs that grow mushrooms on and I’m thinking of using that as a drowning bin, but may totally destroy it if it sprays.
OK so maybe I need to know what kinds of bait NOT to use that attract skunks.

Ok so if you get sprayed you have to throw this suit away?

So they won’t spray whilst in the tarp? And you do what with it next?

None of the skunks have sprayed at any point. But, maybe I’ve just been lucky. If so, I hope that I stay lucky. Even without spraying, they don’t really smell great.

I think they are omnivores. If they are around, I’m not sure you’ll be able to avoid them forever. Before setting the trap, make sure that it fits completely in the bin- it would be bad if it hangs out the top. I’m not sure if it would choose to put nose or tail above water level… :wink:

1 Like

Same as Bob, never had one spray. I don’t know as I’ve killed a skunk lately. But I might move them a little ways to get to a safer area for release. My trap door opens if I roll it over. They do spray if shot. No surprise there.

1 Like

Bob,
How did you get rid of your raccoons?

With those many pests, no wonder they have left nothing much for you. I hope I do not have raccoons.

I haven’t gotten rid of all the raccoon yet…I still see several in the videos. I think there were 8+ large ones living in my yard. And I haven’t even caught any groundhogs, though I know they are around. For the first time, I’ve also seen mice/rat/voles (I’m not sure which), as well as an extra-large helping of chipmunks (seen running around with fruit in their mouths…).

I’ve got a couple more traps coming tomorrow, including a smaller one. Both multi-entry traps, where the animal can push through door from the outside, even after trap has triggered. Hopefully they don’t figure out how to have one on the outside hold the door open to let those inside escape…If they do, I’ll post video.

Yes, that does explain 90-95+% losses of most of my fruit this year (along with birds, insects, and fungus). Blackberries and raspberries are what I’ve mostly harvested. Jujubes don’t appear affected yet either.

Moultrie make a wide range of quality cameras. They have several improved models for 2016.
http://www.moultriefeeders.com/products/cameras/new-for-2016
I have one of their older cheap models and it works fine.

Bob so sorry to hear this. I had racoons but mainly squirrels eating fruit this year. Love the way they just leave a trail of baggies behind them! I have never had a piece of ‘dropped’ fruit in my orchard. My now five peaches are ripening nicely on my window will. Will make a small pie this sunday! Yum.

I haven’t seen one in the last few weeks. Doesn’t mean that they aren’t there, but it is also possible that the fox is clearing them out.

Just a wake-up call that I need to do more to protect the fruit, now that my trees are getting older. I didn’t lose any more than the people who were completely wiped out by the late frost.

Here are a couple more traps which arrived today. I’m testing out the multi-entry ones, something recommended by a guy at work.

Note the different colors- I sprung for an extra 15% to get a “Powder Coating” on the larger one.

It looks like they missed a few spots, such as where this ring blocked the spray. I have no idea if that will have much impact on its overall durability.

Which late peach are you growing? O’Henry?. I did get a few Carolina Golds, about two weeks ago, which were pretty good.

2 Likes

Looking forward to a report/video. I have learned that no matter how fancy/high tech/multi-featured the trap is, the success is often determined by having the right bait.