Any tips on starting a small farm?

Very cool. I’ve been up to Tennessee a few times and stayed in Townsend. An ole fella there did riding up the the foothills and we would pay for a few hours. He had a massive mule I just fell in love with and committed to that being my first animal. I have plentynof good grazing area and many,many miles of timber roads to ride. I’m in Ocala right now and know a few folks that raise them. I going to buy like next year and have it well trained before I take it. I’m chomping at the bit and can hardly wait.

1 Like

Damn! I am very interested. I am clearing a spot of old crappy gum trees right now and could plant the area now. I’ll PM you my address if that cool? I’ll take care of any postage or shipping.

And BTW those are some great looking animals there Derby…Very nice. I bet you miss them.

2 Likes

they are under 3ft. of snow right now but give me a yell in early may and ill cut some for you. :wink:

1 Like

Don’t want to hijack the thread, you will have to keep us posted on how it goes, I would love to follow your progress. My favorite mule was Lucy, the one I’m riding in the road. I bought her when she was 11 months old and trained her myself, a great experience.

You bet. I’ll put it on my reminder calendar. TY very much!

i think i have some consort black currants i rooted last summer i could part with in may also. just pay me some postage. :wink:

No sweat. Anything needed let me know. Very kind of you to offer. We have a fair amount if wild quail here too and that other ones you were talking about could be great cover to keep them on property… If you see something I have you’ve been wanting let me know…

or if you want more plants and don’t want to wait ,check out kansasforest.org. they have golden currant seedlings at $20 for 25. same as clove currants.

if you think you need one hundred thousand to get started, have two hundred thousand, one severe hail storm and it’s vacation time till the next year, have a good back up plan, chickens, rabbits ect.

3 Likes

Looks like N Florida isn’t a place they will grow? Golden Currant

no hail or severe storms here in the summer. winter snows are the biggest issue here.

1 Like

crap! for some reason i thought you were in kansas! sorry. blackberries , rabbit eye blueberries, huckleberries peaches or citrus is better to grow there.

I have all those except Huckleberry. I’ll start looking at those too… I’m getting more blueberries and if got a dozen Ouchitas and a dozen triple crown now. 6 blueberry but they are on their first year… I need to make the ground more acidic somehow. They are red…

1 Like

I just ordered 25 Huckleberry. Looks very similar to the currant plants and are great cover… Seems they are very tough too…:+1:

1 Like

i think they are related to blueberries. peat moss and sulfur work good to acidify the soil. i mulch around my lingon and blueberries with pine needles and spruce forest duff i rake up from under the trees. its free and it naturally acidifies the soil.

2 Likes

Good luck…but you can spend all day and not pick a gallon of huckleberries (unless yours are bigger than the ones on the ridge-tops in this part of the world.)

1 Like

I’m going to plant them more for the animals and the cover for Quail etc. I have all kinds of berries i can pick easily. Tons of Beauty Berries, Blackberries, Elderberries, Blueberries… Mulberries…I leave the Mulberries and will leave the Hucks for the animals…

2 Likes