Anybody have a Japanese raisin tree?

Nope, this is the first time my tree has held any fruit this long. Last year it flowered, but I never noticed any fruit.

I have one in 8b north Florida. Very slow growing. No fruit yet!

Do you think those dropped fruit could grow into more raisin trees?

Those leaves are almost the same as persimmon leaves. Very interesting.

They are like persimmon leaves in their size, color and shine, but the veins in the leaves remind me more of their jujube cousins

Not any of the immature fruit that have dropped so far - I’ve split them open and I don’t think they are developed enough to have viable seed. But perhaps the fruit that hang on longer will contain viable seed. That’s a good question - I don’t know if these trees are self-fertile.

1 Like

The leaves are starting to drop now, and so are the peduncles and fruits. The peduncles are edible, but I probably wouldn’t ever want to eat more than a couple at a time. They are sweet, but they have some astringency too that lingers longer than I’d like. It’s a beautiful tree and attracts pollinators in the thousands when in full bloom, but as far as a food source for humans, I’m inclined to leave it in the novelty category.

6 Likes

I planted one this spring. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for the review. I’ve debated every year on buying one. I collect novelty fruits, but sounds like I might pass on this one.

1 Like

Mine is about as old as yours @ncdabbler but it hasn’t yet bloomed for me.

Mine could use a few of the plants around it pruned hard to give it some more room to grow.

I hope next year it will bloom, even if it doesn’t hold its fruit.

The penduncles supposedly cure hangovers, but I’ve not yet had opportunity to test this…

Scott

1 Like

Funny, the ones I’ve tried before had zero astringency…but were more like chewy dates/raisins…

2 Likes

This is the first year my tree has had any “fruit”, so maybe they improve with age and ripen earlier with less astringency. Or maybe my climate isn’t as suitable for them as yours. I certainly didn’t pick them early because they were dropping off the tree.

2 Likes