Anyone else getting a little frustrated with Raintree?

I still dont have my Nadia. Majorly peeved. That you guys have yours before Arizona is flat ridiculous. Dont know if I will ever make another order with Raintree.

I ordered 125 rootstock from them. My order was a few weeks late from what it was last year (3/6 vs 2/21). When I called they claimed that their shipping department was backed up.

They usually ship in April here, so I get the leftovers! April is fine. The ground is still frozen here.
As soon as I can i will prep area for trees. I have three coming, Two from Raintree, one from Grandpaā€™s which ships here in April too. Them being in MI they know when to ship! Very impressive trees from Grandpaā€™s, rather large though. great root systems.
I wasnā€™t going to buy any trees this year, and ended up with three!
I wonder who is producing the Nadia trees? Sounds like a zillion were ordered!
Mine is going into the ground.

I have not ordered it but the Nadia is on my list to plant.

I ordered a Nadia and a flavor grande. Both trees are huge with a thick trunk. Only problem is that they have very few roots that were not cut short. Another problem is that the buds on the Nadia were already about to open when it arrived a few days ago. Now they are already opening but I am worried the roots that were severely cut back have had no time to recover before having to support all of the top growth.

Some of the branches can be cut on the Nadia to compensate for the trimmed roots.The one I picked up had some that were about thirty inches and after planting,cut them back by about half and also removed some completely.Now there are four left,after keeping the ones with the best crotch angles.
Iā€™ve never heard of Flavor Grande.Is that Flavor Grenade Pluot? Brady

Iā€™ve been getting trees from Raintree for 4 years. Yes, the sizes come in every which way and the roots often looked ā€œchoppedā€ too short and UUUGLY!!! . BUT, all of the trees came on like gangbusters. I THINK (no science behind this statement) that even though there are more buds than we think there should be, somehow the tree adjusts and the roots catch up pretty soon.

I just soaked the roots for 2-3 hours before planting and made sure that the tree was well watered once in the ground and I had no problems. I actually prune the very tippy tips of all of the roots AND rootlets. Yes, its time consuming but I understand that this encourages fast new root growth just like the pruning above ground encourages new branch growth.

Mike

Mike,

My experience has been similar, some looked bad, yet they all took. Only 2 raspberries didnā€™t grow, they replaced them the next season. I have had two trees never take, and both were nice looking, many branches, both had extensive root systems. I know itā€™s limited experience, and why anecdotal evidence isnā€™t evidence, but from my experience you can conclude the bigger the roots, the less likely of it taking. As the chopped roots from Bay Laurel, the damaged roots from Raintree, they are all still here!

I had about the same experience as fruitnut. Tree was well packed, had a fair amount of untrimmed roots.(much better than groworganic or bay laurel). Tree looks good, it did have buds that were swelled and looked like they were about to bloom.(still havenā€™t) They first said it would be shipped first to mid March. Then they sent an email saying they planned on shipping it on Feb, 27 but couldnā€™t guarantee shipment. On the Saturday following (8 days) package arrived.

Gary, was your shipping method the default ā€œzone skippingā€ or did you request to have it sent ASAP for the additional cost?

SO yesterday I called Raintree again after getting reports of people in Arizona getting shipments from them. I asked them for a tracking number and they informed me that they didnt ship to me. Why? Well apperantly my card didnt go thru. Why didnt you guys call me?? Uhhhhh (silence). Well when can you ship if I give you another card? Tomorrow.

So I guess we shall see. Once again.

AJ, I used the default zone skipping. I did not pay any additional cost but being from Texas the default was earlier than most.

Is Dave Wilson involved with the Nadia?The one I picked up locally,had a tag that indicated the tree was grown by Biringer Nursery and that looks to be in Mount Vernon,WA.
From what I can remember from an earlier post,only one nursery in Yakima,WA was the grower for the US,Brandtā€™s Fruit Trees.Maybe as time goes on,more licenses are being distributed. Brady

I pretty sure DWN is not involved at all. Its probably a big competition for them in fact, there are very few interspecific choices out there that are not Zaiger. My Raintree Nadia had a Raintree tag only.

Scott

[quote=ā€œgarybeaumont, post:32, topic:244, full:trueā€]
AJ, I used the default zone skipping. I did not pay any additional cost but being from Texas the default was earlier than most.
[/quote]OK, I see what happened. I read the shipping schedule and it said late March for the first group. Since you already got yours I thought it was in advance. However, I just looked at same page in google cache and it said late February for the first group. They must have just updated the shipping schedule today and it doesnā€™t reflect that shipments have already begun.

Should I be wary of ordering fruit trees from Raintree this late in the bare root season?

They have two trees that my local nursery does not have right now that Iā€™d be interested in planting right now.

I donā€™t expect mine to be delivered for another month at least maybe 6 weeks, The ground is still frozen here. So I feel I could still add to my order. Although i donā€™t have plans to.

We did finally get our order inā€¦about a month later than they promised they would ship when we ordered. The stock was niceā€¦and they are the only easy retail source for Krysmk rootstock. If I can find what I need next year elsewhere I think I will not use Raintree again. But the experince wasnt so bad that if they are the only source for something that I wouldnt order again.

With the krysmk root, nadia cherry plum, and black boy peach they were the only source this year.

Glad you got your order!
I live close enought to Raintree that I thought about taking an afternoon to drive there fir my order. They do have good stuff. But the customer service and wuality this year was very discouraging. I did even worse a few years ago with One Green World. Ive only bought one item from Burnt Ridge, a Yates persimmon, was very happy with that. I was also happy last year with the one item I bought from Starkā€™s, a Jonared apple. Really did well.

I dont know what I will do next year. Depends on my health, among other things. Maybe a Nadia Cherry - but where from?

1 Like

This is the email I just got from Raintree. Looks like mine will ship out tomorrow and Iā€™ll receive them sometime next week.

Dear Raintree Customer:

Due to weather conditions in the East and Mid West we postponed our shipping dates by one week.

For example if your shipment was to leave Raintree Nursery here in Washington state on 3/13 it is now leaving on 3/20. Please allow about a week for it to arrive at your door via U.P.S.

To get your plants to you in the best condition we carefully put them on a refrigerated truck that we send directly to the U.P.S. hub in Chicago. It is then quickly routed to your door.

Your ā€œbare rootā€ plants have been stored in our cold storage facility and will arrive at your door fully dormant and ready to dig in and grow for you.

Previous ship date: 3/13 DE, DC, MD, MO, KY, NC, OK, TN, KS, VA, WV - New Ship date: 3/20

Previous ship date: 3/27 IL, IN, IA, NE, OH, PA, NJ - New Ship date: 4/3

Previous ship date: 4/10 CT, MA, RI, NY(100-119) - New Ship date: 4/17

Previous ship date: 4/24 ME, MI, MN, NH, ND,VT, WI,SD, NY(120-149) - New Ship date: 5/1