Anyone growing large fruit size cherry variety in U.S?

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @CherryLover1.

I have lots of chill hours, so that is not a concern for my cherry varieties. If you click the magnifying glass in the top right corner and enter the varieties you’re interested in you may find the type of info you’re looking for.

2 Likes

It’s a matter of how long (contiguous hours per day) it stays cold.

I’ve lived much of my life in southern CA and been unable to fruit large cherries in our 9b zones.

1 Like

I don’t have any but am looking for Utah Giant if that counts. I like large cherries. But eating quality, mainly taste, is much more important to me.

I’ve already directed you to two threads here that discuss many of the varieties that you mention.

1 Like

For anyone who’s interested, here’s some information about Utah Giant cherry. Dave Wilson is the largest supplier of deciduous fruit trees to western retail nurseries (excluding big box stores).

Hi EJ
I have all the varieties of cherries that you mention and many more.
You can see pictures of some of my varieties in this post:

But unless Albacete has become the 53rd American state, I continue to be Spanish hahahaha.

You can ask me what you want about cherries.

Regards
Jose

4 Likes

Hi Jose,
WOW, You are very blessed to have all those gigantic cherry varieties. It seems like you are living in other country than U.S. What country do you live in currently. I am hoping to get some cuttings for grafting if you live in U.S.

Hi Ej.
he largest cherry variety in the world is the Hungarian Carmen variety, obtained at the University of Budapest by hybridizing of the varieties Sarga Dragan x H203.

It is a very sweet cherry with an excellent flavor (for me, I am a bit special with the cherries, I find it medium firm, and I like crunchy cherries in the mouth).

In the photo that you are going to see, the Carmen cherry has a weight of 33 grams, but German sources indicate weights of up to 35 grams , or 1,16 Oz (I hope to exceed it).

This variety for you would be spectacular.

Regards
Jose

3 Likes

Hi Ej.
In that post, where you have seen photographs of some varieties of cherry trees, it is only a small example.
My business is the hospitality industry and I have a restaurant-hotel, so for work reasons, I don’t have time to do a photographic report of all the varieties of cherries of my orchard (I estimate that I will have about 130-150 varieties of cherry trees).
I started that post, in the year 2021, and next year, I want to post pictures of many more varieties.

I’m not American, I’m Spanish, and I live in central Spain (Castilla La Mancha region), if you know the book “The ingenious hidalgo Don Quixote de la Mancha”, is my region, because the story takes place in the towns near mine.

Before growing cherry trees, I recommend knowing what type of land you have, in order to choose the right rootstock (this is more important than the cherry varieties to be grafted).

As I am a regular on the forum, we will continue talking about cherry trees.

Now, I want to explain in the thread of the good varieties of cherry trees, how to perform a double graft in a single year.
That is, use a vigorous stone fruit rootstock, for example Rootpac-R (it’s a great rootstock), graft Adara plum or Monrepos plum on Rootpac-R to make it compatible with cherry, and in the same year graft the cherry variety.

It’s easy if you know how to do it.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

That is very impressive. I wish I can have Carmen tree. You are living in Spain so there is no way to get any of cuttings from you. I know how important it is to protect U.S agriculture. One thing I wish is that U.S cherry whole seller purchase license to sell those large patented cherries in U.S, and go through all the inspection required for imported plants.

1 Like

Did you have one named Saleh or something similar that you used to like a lot?

Hi Steven.
Yes, it’s all about the variety:

• PC7064-3’ (Selah®)

Liberty_Bell_Sweet_Cherry (4).pdf (165.6 KB)

It is a great variety of cherry, I show you some photographs.

And it’s the same program as the Tieton variety, which is also fantastic .

Tieton_Sweet_Cherry (3).pdf (300.2 KB)

Highly recommended both , for low humidity climates, since both are very susceptible to cracking

Greetings
José

2 Likes

Yes, I liked Selah. It was big and beautiful…!! I loved the shape, size, and color. Tasted good.

Never got much fruit off it but that was my issue. My production system gave very high brix but low production. I’d like to grow it again but doubt I can find it. I think Tieton will be easier to find so I’ll give that a try.

How many years did you grow your cherry trees? I find that the production picks up significantly after 5-6 years. I was wondering if each cherry tree will only give me a snack worth of cherries but boom this year it over-cropped significantly. I harvested and froze a lot of it but I couldn’t be faster than the cherry fruit fly which spoiled 1/3rd of the fruit.

I probably grew Selah 4-5 years. The issue I had was failed blooms due to excessive water stress when using deficit irrigation. Cherries were sensitive to water stress effects on flower bud formation for next year’s crop. They bloomed but didn’t set much fruit due to malformed flower parts. Apricot can have a similar issue. Pluots less so and peach/nectarine weren’t affected.

If I get cherries going again I’ll either water more or grow them in pots where they had less issues.

1 Like

Hi Udhay.
Tomorrow we will identify the plague (they can be two different species of cherry tree fly), and I will explain how to combat it.

Regards
Jose

2 Likes

You don’t need some exotic, hard to find, huge fruited cherry in order to eat superb fruit.

The best tasting cherries I’ve ever eaten were lowly Bings. One year everything came together and they were 30-32 brix with very high acid, and still crisp. I’ll never forget those. Grown with a water deficit and harvested at just the right time. I really can’t describe how good they tasted. Roughly tied as top fruit I’ve ever eaten right up there with Honey Royale nectarines at their best. The flavor of those nectarines at their best is to die for.

I was never totally satisfied with fruits I’d grown until I learned how to grow fruits with a water deficit. In SoCal I’d concentrate on learning that rather than chasing exotic, unattainable, big fruited varieties. Or combine the two and visit fruit heaven.

1 Like

Montmorency cherry did great for me.

You sent me scion once. I’ve hardly had any production because I keep it as a small espalier and the wildlife gets all the fruit — the rain and humidity here in the northeast doesn’t help either — but I can send you some cuttings this winter if you want.

2 Likes

That would be sweet…!! I’ll try to remember to ask next winter. Thank you.

1 Like