Anyone growing Medlar?

Are the medlars still working well on crabapple?curious because I just grafted medlars to crabapple yesterday. Thanks

Unfortunately, no. A few of them held for a couple years but eventually became weak and brittle at the graft union and broke, likely due to delayed incompatibility. I’d like to try pear at some point as I’ve heard they can work on those. Quince and hawthorn work well.

I’ve heard some recommend to graft low on hawthorn and then bury the union to get the medlar to root. I wonder if that would work with crabapples as well since they can last a couple years on that.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. most of my grafts are on pear had a few left so tried. maybe I will get enough growth to get scions.

They took and started growing very quickly for me, so that does seem like a temporary way to get scionwood for next year. Good luck with your grafts!

My medlar grafts on pear and quince are both showing growth. Hoping I can get all of them to take. I’m going hard next year with a bunch of medlar. I found several places with a lot of scion varieties.

It should work. Medlar seems quick to take to graft and is not afraid to give it up in the future, but it wants to grow its own roots enough that what it’s nurse stock is should not really matter. Some of the nurses may try to grow around it still for longer than others.

1 Like

they do seem like a very cool nursery. I know they graft theirs onto Hawthorn. I got the Puciu mol last year but it was very small and at such a great price. Took a while to leaf out, developed a couple leaves and then died after three months or so. I’m thinking maybe too much sun or wind…