Anyone Grows Chinese Bayberry?

I’ll do some research. The bay leaf shape looks great.

Well it is evergreen to USDA zone 10. So out of my reach. The tree can grow large.

2 Likes

There are Native Myrica species your in New Jersey See M. pensylvanica

maybe not much flesh, and big seed
but maybe if you graft onto it will make more cold hardy.

Just a guess but thought of that b/c I read about people suggesting to graft to the native California wax myrtle species to adapt to soil there.

Myrica pensylvanica Northern Bayberry PFAF Plant Database

1 Like

Since I know a lot of this group is in the pacific north west maybe graft to this.

M. gale

maybe better to start native seeds anyways ,
and buy less plants since they are expensive
(buy one or 2 and graft instead to your established native seeds you planted )

I learned a lot of these unusual plants long ago,
but try not to read up on stuff any longer unless I plan to use it so forgot most of what I read , and have no first hand experience …

I remember now the leaves are used for beer maybe I will try to gather since it is in 15 miles away (in the mortem Arboretum in Lisle IL.)

Sweet Gale, Myrica Gale | Native Plants PNW

(anyone In IL. Bayberry in Lisle)
Bayberry | The Morton Arboretum

2 Likes

I imported 9 varities a few days ago and hopefully they can survive the coldest temperature in seattle area. I can sell some next year.

2 Likes

I did some research and was thinking using m gale to graft also. Do you happen to know normally how many degree lower can the grafted plants bear. Marysville coldest winter (record low -1 degree) will definitely kill the plant, although it doesn’t happen often. The plant can only survive short period of 15 degree.

2 Likes

I do not know actually wouldn’t be able to know as of now where to find the information of grafting causing how much more cold tolerance.
I mean what terminology would I even search?

I think you might have to bury the graft as well?

I think wrapping with burlap, and or placing Christmas lights could protect them on their own roots.

I often wonder How many generations of seed be grown to adapt to the cold I know one could graft to speed up the seed baring process , and get generations faster from each seeds offspring.

Edit I do see the plant only survives down to 15 degree’s , but I have heard that so often I do not always believe it since it is repeated so much, and a lot of tree’s grow here that are not suppose to .
(like Bald cypress for instance, white oak (that are old), and many others.)

I’m pretty sure the Chinese variety is used as a landscape plant in the middle school near my house in Seattle, and has survived a few winters and fruits every year. So yours will probably do fine! PM me if you want to know the location so you can check it out.

EDIT: Scratch that, I just walked over and looked at it and I was completely wrong. Looks like it’s actually Arbutus unedo, which just has vaguely similar looking fruit. My mistake!

2 Likes

Thanks. Do you happen to know where I can buy M. Gale with low price? Either seeds or small plants. I guess i need hundreds at least.

1 Like

Hi , so did you try them, tasted great ?

1 Like

Hi, How are your myrica runts trees doing? Are you selling the myrica rubra trees this year as planned? Thanks.

1 Like

please come back and give us an update.

1 Like

Yangmei plants

4 Likes

The Tanzhe Temple west of Beijing, China is named for this tree.

Taxon Maclura tricuspidata:
Transcribed Chinese zhe
Native
Asia-Temperate
CHINA: China [Anhui Sheng, Fujian Sheng, Gansu Sheng (s.e.), Guangdong Sheng, Guangxi Zhuangzu Zizhiqu, Guizhou Sheng, Hebei Sheng, Henan Sheng, Hubei Sheng, Hunan Sheng, Jiangsu Sheng, Jiangxi Sheng, Shaanxi Sheng, Shandong Sheng, Shanxi Sheng (s.), Sichuan Sheng, Yunnan Sheng, Zhejiang Sheng]
EASTERN ASIA: Korea

Some incredible varieties…

Crystal

Black crystal

Rose red

Black carbon

Dongkui

4 Likes

Fabulous!

1 Like

Some more pics…

Hard Silk variety

3 Likes

I have read to many conflicting reports of its hardness. But all signs point to it not having enough cold tollerance for Zone 7 USA. And at over $100 +sh for the few that show up on ebay I have not been daring enough to take the chance.

I can say the frozen ones I have had are delicious and I cant Imagin why there not being exported. I Guese they must have a short shelf life.

What fruits did you eat today? - General Fruit Growing - Growing Fruit

1 Like

I’m also having a hard time learning about this fruit in English. Ended up looking it up on Douyin and came across this video which tracks it across a single season.

I was looking into importing it. USDA appears to allow it. Prices are still high from the one place that gave me a quote. 12 plants for $168 each.

There’s a pretty extensive discussion of it on the tropical fruit forum.

1 Like

wow 33 pages. Thank you so much for this link!