Anyone here into loquat?

Awesome! Thanks @swincher

1 Like

Another variety of loquat ripened — Kanko. The fruit looks scabby but inside was good, the tree is weak growing and cannot take heat well. Lot of small seeds unlike Argelino.

The flavor is intense. Even more than Argelino. — very sweet, and balancing tartness. in this climate possibly the best fruit that I’ve grown. Possibly ahead of every stone fruit grown here. Maybe they benefit from the ultra long ripening duration here.

9 Likes

I’ve been following your enterprising loquat trials, now I’m hooked on the idea!

1. Did you graft Angelino and Kanko scions onto Chinatown seedlings or start with grafted trees? If you did the grafting, what time of year is best for an evergreen?
  2. Loquat scab! … my microclimate is so conducive to scab (apples, pears) that I would probably want to select for the least scab susceptible. Was Angelino less affected?

Chris

1 Like

Just stopped by the tree in the International District, it’s still got some nice looking fruit way up high, but nothing within reach and all the ones on the ground were in various states of decay. I grabbed a few rotten ones though and I’ll clean off the seeds and try to germinate them.

7 Likes

Mine are grafted on some unnamed seedlings. Most likely gold nugget. I bought one grafted tree but it hasn’t produced yet.

Kanko is rather scab sensitive and is a weak grower.

1 Like

Actually as I tore the fruit apart to get the seeds, they had some perfectly fine parts that tasted great. Was surprised only one seed in most of them, very good flesh to seed ratio:

5 Likes

Dang Ram! I’m in danger of being converted to loquats! Very nice!

1 Like

Hey Aaron, I am sure climate plays a role. Your relatively cool summers may be an advantage with loquats.

2 Likes

I can’t wait for my grafts to start producing! Are you fruiting any of Adam’s varieties (sunset, sugarcane, etc) this year?

1 Like

“perfectly fine parts”…such an accomplished hunter/gatherer!
It’s a great find!

1 Like

I’m headed for SeaTac on Thurs. Can you give me the loquat tree’s address? Somewhere between S.Weller and S. Dearborn?

Chris

1 Like

611 8th Ave South Seattle,WA
There is also a smaller tree,on the west side of the house.Access is by the alleyway/parking lot on the north side.Still may have fruit,but may be difficult to get.

2 Likes

Not yet. Hopefully next year. It will be a tough act to beat these I think.

1 Like

There’s a list of loquat trees in Trees of Seattle (which I highly recommend even though it’s sometimes a little out of date), I am happy to pass it along via PM. But do remember most of these are on private property, though I doubt anyone will complain about you picking up fallen/spoiled fruit especially from the right of way!

1 Like

Bradybb and swincher
Thanks for address. I will be respectful!

Chris

1 Like

The owner of one of the trees complained to me that people were climbing the tree and breaking branches. He has put up a sign now saying that trespassers will be prosecuted or something to that effect.

I am sure folks in this forum are responsible but please remember that they will come up on a google search and you don’t have to be a member to read the forum.

Maybe not the best idea to post this info on a forum.

2 Likes

Yeah I figured since it’s in a book it’s “public knowledge” but I guess no need to make it too easy :joy: so I edited my post

2 Likes

I didn’t see a sign,a few days ago.The tree is fairly well known,because of the location and rarity.

1 Like

I meant the tree on beacon hill

1 Like

Okay,I was wondering about that.Thanks for the clarification.

1 Like