Anyone here using urine?

A life time of gardening has made me skeptical of such dangers one often sees in the literature but never hears about from actual gardeners. Skeptical- not entirely dismissive.

3 Likes

Here is Nourse Farms list of what not to doā€¦ would be interesting to read a thread about wives tales of what not to do as well.

As far as introducing viruses to tomatoesā€¦ isnt there plenty of soil pathogens in tomato soil? Thats one ive heardā€¦ dont put the soil where tomatoes have grown anywhere else.

Now that ithink of it, maybe asolution would be to grow tobacco to harvest the leaves. Mulching them on the tomato patch would probably be just as effective.

2 Likes

ive grown tobacco. its very easy to grow and very cold hardyā€¦

Got any seeds? We need to work out the details for some plant material exchange. The hazelnuts I got from you sprouted super late and pushed very anemic growth, Iā€™m not sure of their survival. I may want to try again with a heat pad so they can get an early start.

Iā€™ll send you a picture later of what they did.

1 Like

plenty and different types. what else were you looking for?

Cold hardy? Iā€™m thinking 30 F and the leaves are clear and droopingā€¦

meant cold hardy for a annual. yes frost does it in.

1 Like

Cold hardy can mean different things.

All my apple trees are cold hardy. For two of them it may not matter; they can happily thrive here but they may be too late an apple to ever get enough time to ripen fruit (Franklin cider apple). That makes raw lowest temperature ā€˜hardinessā€™ meaningless to me but quite a solid feature in say places like Minnesota and most of Canada.

Heck a number of my trees are already shedding leaves while the Kerr is still green and ripening. The Kerr can take a 20f frost overnight and still keep on working on them apples. That particular ā€˜hardinessā€™ feature (again, to me) is inconsequential on early apple trees that already finished their crops, but a must have on a later apple tree.

And take the January meltdown that we often get. It can be a week in the upper 40ā€™s followed by sub zero temperatures the next. For me an all important aspect of hardiness is trees that tenaciously stay dormant through those or else they die, regardless of how low a temperature they could otherwise take.

This is why shopping just by USDA zone ratings can be misleading.

9 Likes

very good information.

Donā€™t put it on the leaves. May burn the plants.

2 Likes

Tobacco is said to use up the nutrients in the soil and you may need to plant nitrogen fixing plants or take a whiz again.
John S
PDX O R

2 Likes

Thatā€™s the reason you plant hairy vetch or crimson cloverā€¦and cereal grainsā€¦as a cover crop to turn under in the tobacco patch. Then still add phosphates and plenty of potash in spring fertilizer, and some amonium nitrate as early summer side-dressing.
Been a lot of years since I raised tobaccoā€¦though.

2 Likes

i grew some here for use asa fungicide. it grew surprisingly well. grew 7ft. in my greenhouse with no special care. got a couple oz. of dried tobacco from it. got tons of seed from 1 plant. saving them for bartering in shtf scenario. :wink:

1 Like

speaking of SHTFā€¦I should get some sugar beet seeds.
Did them once in 1988.

Burley tobacco isnā€™t hard to raise if you have fertile soil and till it and keep grass and stuff from competing. Used to have to pull plants over to ā€˜topā€™ them as a teenagerā€¦and Iā€™m over 6ā€™ and used to put 8 fingers and 2 thumbs on an 8 foot ceiling just in tennis shoes.
So, thatā€™s tall burley.

1 Like

i got some sugar beet, short season sorghum and stevia seed. should take care of my sweet tooth. :wink:

2 Likes