Anyone knows this black pears

Hello everyone! Anyone knows the variety of this small black pears? They are from a tree on north Portugal.

peritos pretos

3 Likes

Have a couple of guesses. Guess #1 is it could be the Black Worcester pear but I doubt it. Guess #2 Know of a wild pear by the name khoj pear which I always suspected as being some of the genetics seckle came from.

These are only guesses.

2 Likes

Wow! Those are incredible… but maby it’s a local variety… almost extinct!

3 Likes

@Luisport

Yes khoj can be any shape or color or size it’s really just like saying wild pears. They are numerous like the many wild apples in the USA.

Different places still know this pear exists. It is not only rare its likely one of a kind!

2 Likes

The only strange thing is how one of those trees got to the north of my country, to a very small locality… :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Luisport

Happens all the time when someone goes on vacation. Sometimes migrating birds as they certainly enjoy fruit. The ocean carries fruit and seeds all over. People bring seeds or pears home that they enjoyed. They order wild pear seeds and make intentional attempts to grow them. Like I said it could also be genetics reverting back like what I think happened with seckle. Take a close look at my seckle Seckel Pear - #42 by clarkinks

Most things like this I keep to myself because it’s purely speculation and based on nothing at all more than an idea.

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :+1:

1 Like

@Luisport

You see the resemblance immature seckle shown above and wild pears have?

2 Likes

Yes they are… and it’s an old tree as my friend told me.

1 Like

@Luisport

In the USA we have many wild pears that got here in the same way take a look at this wild pear common among deer hunter circles

We will see if other people have some other suggestions. The wild pear your looking at is very much worth preserving as I said it’s very rare. The black skin of the fruit is very interesting. This thread has many perry pears in it which are closer to their wild relatives Perry Pears Cider

2 Likes

How do they taste & store?

2 Likes

They look great! :grin:

1 Like

I don’t know… a friend hasked me if i know it or know the name of this variety… i think they have good flavor. I will have a tree later. :blush:

2 Likes

red-pears2

3 Likes

@Luisport

Did you decide to grow them?

1 Like

I didn’t arrange them because the tree was cut. Someone told me there are another tree but i don’t know

1 Like