Anyway to grow Papaya indoors?

@snowdude Michael - Wow that looks amazing!!! How much fruit do you get out of the Papaya per year?

Thanks!

I think i had about 15ish last year. The reason i do not have a specific number is that the papaya was in a slightly smaller pot without rocks in the bottom. It was top heavy and was blown over several during our summer and fall storms numerous times which caused several fruits to be knocked off. The same happened to the star fruit but it needed to be thinned.
I have the tropicals being watered through drip irrigation from my sprinkler system.

1 Like

wow, thats the biggest success I have seen with Papaya in cold climates!!! Were they ripe/yellow or did you harvest them green due to cold weather?

better late than never on responding. i put the tropicals in the garage on days/nights below freezing where they will stay warm due to heaters. Due to my travels, i gave all of my tropical plants in pots to my neighbor. he was very excited and there family of four even got tired of all of the star fruit produced by the one tree. the Star Fruit were double if not triple the size of what you would find in a chain grocery store. the Papaya was extremely sweet. Mangos were very sweet. I only picked the tropical fruits when tree ripe. the papaya one of the sweetest that i have ever eaten even when in tropical countries. Sorry for the late reply.

2 Likes

Here is a picture of a Papaya we picked a couple weeks ago

6 Likes

The papaya carrier is way better-looking than the papaya !!!

1 Like

Thank you! I think so too. :grinning:

1 Like

She is so cute!!!

Wow what success! I have tried several times with papaya but can’t get them to stay alive. I had 6 starfruit trees I grew from seed for several years but they never fruited and the spider mites devoured them in the winter so the last one I tossed this fall. I want to try Logees’ varieties.

nice photo! Incidentally, papayas can be grown via airlayers, which could help control height if size of tree gets to be a problem.
Of course, best to airlayer papayas that are not much more than 1 year of age, as the airlayer will have the same age as the mother plant and unfortunately will not be rejuvenated by cloning.

Most papaya cultivars start declining at 3 to 4 years of age and will usually die around 6 or 7, at best.

it is a perennial species that best refutes the theory of ‘rejuvenation’ by airlayering, since this perennial fruit tree has a short life span, relative to humans.

while there are papayas that are dwarfish in nature, the incredible photos you see at amazon or ebay hawking ‘dwarf papaya’ seeds are likely airlayered clones.
important to note as well that the dwarf habit is enhanced by full sun conditions.

6 Likes

Not a papaya, but I see several notes about Mangos in this thread. My daughter stuck the pit from a store bought mango (one of the smaller yellow ones), it sprouted and two years later it is about 6 feet tall in a 3 gallon pot. It is mostly just a single whip and has suffered a bit from being in only a one gallon pot most of its light.

I never thought I could consider getting it to fruit, but now I wonder. Is this likely with the help more light maybe over winter? Or would I need some type of dwarf variety and what I have is unlikely to fruit if I keep it small?

Either way, it is an interesting house plant, but fruit would be a nice bonus!

1 Like

mangos and papayas are very much into sun-worship, so best to allow them as much solar time when weather permits. Btw, mangos can be airlayered as well and will be more dwarfish, just like papayas if airlayered

3 Likes

Thank you Raf. I actually already airlayered my tree. The airlayer has a small fruit on it now. I think that’s the same video I watched before I airlayered it. It worked very well.

@Rach I haven’t tried growing Mango but it’s on my list after seeing the success @snowdude is having.

3 Likes

i had no problem getting my papaya, starfruit and mango to fruit. the only time they are not in the sun and weather is if it is going to be below 32 degrees F. I then only role them under a covered porch and turn on a couple of heaters that keep them from freezing. the star fruit and papaya typically drop all their leaves and the mangos only a few leaves. as soon as spring arrives that are permanently in the sun and connected to a drip sprinkler.

1 Like