Aphids. When and how to control

I’m having a big issue with aphids like never before. Usually I apply Tanglefoot on the tree trunk and never see Aphids after that. But this year despite Tanglefoot the tree tops are covered in Aphid.
Only thing I did differently this year is to bring in Spinosad to the spray program. Can this be the reason I’m covered in Aphids thisyear? Maybe Spinosad killed a bug that normally dines on Aphids? Just wondering.

On a bright side I saw 3-4 ladybugs working on the over population of Aphids.

1 Like

Some Aphids can fly and deposit wingless young on the tender new leaves.bb

2 Likes

Tanglfoot does not stop aphids. It stops the ants from climbing up the tree to harvest the honeydew they produce which is a good thing because ants protect the aphids from predators.

1 Like

I’ve never used tanglefoot for ant/aphid control although I think it would help. When my trees/vines were younger I tried to stay after them with either soap/water and sometimes soap/neem/water. It was a constant battle to keep the sensitive tips free so they could develop. My trees/vines are a little older now and I have backed off trying to control them with sprays and turned most of the work over to my abundant amount of ladybugs.

1 Like

I just did my third spray of neem, all 3 days apart. I did not see any ants in the trees on the third spray so i think i am good to go now. I will probably do one more for good measure. I had them worse than i have ever seen this year and i am glad my trees are growing like crazy.

Scott, I just learned something new about Black Cherry Aphids. Sadly, I learned it after I lost my tiny perfect cherry tree.

Once the aphids turn into adults, they fly to their summer host’s home. No other than beautiful Speedwell and Galium and one other. I have the first two in several places and the speedwell is at the foot of my cherries! 4 others were affected, but I saved them with lacewings, ant control and lady bugs. (And maybe some dead bug spray while I waited for predators)

I plan to remove my speedwell. I am waiting on the galium, because it is 40-50 feet away. I need to see how far the adults will fly.

You see, the adults return to their cherry trees in the fall to lay their eggs! I plan on disrupting this little travel plan. Stay tune for more!

1 Like

Colleen,
Could you please post pics of your Speedwell and Galliam?

Sure, give me a second. Here is my source.
https://influentialpoints.com/Gallery/Myzus_cerasi_Black_cherry_aphid.htm

This is Galium ( Woodruff) when it flowers. Woodruff https://g.co/kgs/D5upAC
There are many types of Galium, I confirmed on another source that black cherry aphids summer on Galium Oratum
Extremely long document: HOST LISTS and KEYS

Speedwell also called Veronica looks similar to salvia, but the leaves are very different: Veronica / Speedwells

3 Likes

My Speedwell (1 flowering, one with out flowers)

My woodruff (gallium) (done flowering.)

I seriously hope my gallium is too far for black cherry aphids to fly to because I have a ton of it. I love it ( loved) it is about 50 feet away on the other side of a hedge from my Utah Cherries.

4 Likes

even though i don’t have black cherry aphids. And this thus does not directly apply to me. I want to thank you for this well sourced/referenced reply, when someone asked for a source. (others could follow your example in this :slight_smile: )
Also explaining the mechanism (alternate host plants) is of large value.

If i run into problems with these i now know where to look. Thanks :heart:

2 Likes

I don’t think I have either of those plants so I assume the aphids have other summer hosts - ? Not sure it is worth removing them for this.

1 Like

I really love fragrant roses, do you have any fragrant roses…. could you suggest what are the best/easiest to grow very fragrant roses?

1 Like

I have 16 roses bushes! Do you like fruity smelling roses or the old tea rose Smell?
Do you like bush roses or climbing?
Here is a photo of one I grow that smells amazing. It is called Princess Alexandria of Kent. David Austin Roses sell it on their site. Local nurseries sell them too. Aphids have kept away from her.

4 Likes

Wow. It looks absolutely stunning. Honestly, I guess I did not know that there were fruit smelling roses.:blush: I guess I was seeking that kind of guttural connection between the olfactory lobe and the hippocampus, you know, the kind that gives you an instant trip back in time To when you were in grandmother’s Garden as a seven-year-old, enthralled.

So perhaps I would lean more towards the old fashion Rose Garden sent, but I would be interested in other fragrance as well. Thank you

Colleen,
Thank you. I don’t have Speedwell (a Veronica family). I have Salvia, a sage family. I hope no aphid like sage’s smell.

I have heard of woodruff but did not know it is also called gallium.

I used to have rose-crazed before fruit tree-crazed. Used to love David Austin roses. Do you spray for black spots. That is one disease that I got tired of from growing roses.

Your Princess Alexandria is lovely, Do you spray your roses?

1 Like

I have not sprayed my roses. I have watched them very closely. And remove aphids by hand. I use DE at the base. PAOK is sold as a very healthy type of rose. I try to stick to the ones that are healthiest. I have not experienced black spot yet. (Knock on wood).

I love the tall blue,pink & purple spikes! Salvia is much better at repelling pests. I think I will keep an eye on all my speedwell and relocate when it gets cooler. These are the pests we need to watch out for:

All my roses except for Living Easy got black spot, David Austin’s are the worst, Dark Lady, Graham Thomas, Abraham Darby, to name a few. I removed all DA roses.

Thanks for the links and warning about these bugs. Had I known, I should have studied entomology instead of poetry in college.

2 Likes

I had a weird aphid experience this year. I grafted a very red wild crabapple in my neighbor’s yard to a random seedling crab in my yard. And the graft seemed to take well. And then it was attacked by aphids. Lots and lots of aphids seemingly farmed by ants.

I killed them carefully with my fingers. The next day they were back, but i killed them again. This went on for most of a week. And the next day there were no aphids, and I haven’t seen them since.

There were still aphids on other parts of that tree, but not on the growing tip of the graft.

Luck? Is this a thing? I’m not complaining, of course!

2 Likes

Resurrecting this older thread.

Looks like it’s aphid season here. Mume plum.