Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

Is the big one on the left an Asian pear? Very well hidden!

1 Like

I have English Golden Russet, not the American GR aka Bullock. Mine was in a partial shade so they may not ripen as well as they should.

@BobVance gave me a recommendation for it. It is his favorite or one of, as well.

I like Ashmead Kernel more than EGR grown in my yard. I liked Hoople’s in 2019 but was disappointed in it in 2020. Very odd.

1 Like

The Ashmead’s Kernels I’ve had have been green and sour. Maybe because our fruit tastings are in October. I haven’t had one I’ve enjoyed, let alone compared to Golden Russet, but enough people rave about it that I feel like I must not have had a good one.

And yes, @Oepfeli the slightly rounder, but uncannily similar colored and russeted pear in the corner is Chojuro.

3 Likes

I’m not entirely sure which mine is. It is the one that Cummings sells (or sold in 2013). It is one of my favorite apples and can easily get into the lower 20’s in brix (I think the highest was around 23). In keeping with the thread, here are some pics…

Goldrush definitely keeps better:

On tree in 2019:

A nice bowl of Golden Russets in 2019:

!

A not as nice bowl in 2018:

8 Likes

Hi Bob,
I have often been confused by English Golden Russet and American Golden Russet. I got mine from Burntridge. My is not very sweet but I think lack of enough sun has contributed to it.

Maybe, @scottfsmith can tell us one more time what the difference between AGR and EGR.

I did some searches and found:

That would seem to indicate that I have a EGR.

1 Like

Thanks, Bob. I completely forgot about the fact that I bought mine from Schlabach, together with my mislabeled and virus-infected Fuji.

Yes, the standard one in the US is EGR. I think it is too easy to get mixed up on that… we are in America after all so you would think AGR would win the popularity contest.

2 Likes

I’ve found the winner of long keeper apples in my limited experience.

The winner is Rubinette. Found it in the fridge today. I picked this apples in early to mid Oct. I like it freshly picked. 7+ months later, it surprised me how well its texture held up an. The taste was sweet and pleasant (I am nit good at describing flavor.).

I ate it side by side with Gold Rush, which I still have several. Both were picked when they were not fully ripe judging from the light brown color of their seeds.

Rubinette was in the fridge for 7+ months.
Gold Rush was about 6 months.

Rubinette maintained firmer, better texture. It was sweeter with almost no hint of tartness.

Gold Rush lost some firmness. Its tartness had mellowed a great deal but I could still taste some of it. Side by side, Rubinette won both texture and taste, IMO.

However, if you like some tartness, you may choose Gold Rush for the taste.

Gold Rush

10 Likes

What makes it really confusing, I think, is that “English Golden Russet” apparently originated in the U.S. (and UK sources consistently identify it as an American apple.

Am I right in remembering that “American Golden Russet” is a synonym for Bullock?

Rubinette is superb right off the tree. Not fair that it stores great too. I consider it a top 10 apple.

@murky,
It has a downside. It goes biennial on me this year!! Mine is a graft on a Gold Rush tree. It was 3 years old when it fruited last year. I might not have thinned enough (I swore I thinned quite a bit).

I hope this fall you will keep your Rubinette in a fridge for several months to see if you will get the same result. I put mine in a closed plastic bag.

I have it on an espalier that got pretty badly girdled - I thought. That year it bloomed profusely and was going to set nicely, but deer jumped into my garden and ate off all the leaves and baby apples.

It seems to have recovered from the girdling, but last year set no flowers. This year, just a few. I should probably graft it on a full sized tree. I’m down to my last couple apple rootstocks - and one is holding out for Api Etoile, and I’m thinking maybe Gravenstein or Golden Russet - who don’t play as nice with others on a multi-graft.

Gravenstein bloomed profusely last year but did not set any fruit. It was triploid but was surrounded by tons of other blooming varieties. I blamed it on bees.

I like Epi Atoile a lot but the fruit is tiny. I grafted it for a novelty reason but it tasted nicer than I expected. If you have not had Calville Blanc, you should have it. Tasty and productive. Its fruit size is 5x bigger than Epi Atoile!!

I’ve found Calville Blanc to be kind of 1 note sour taste. Maybe something is missing in my taste buds because people seem to love it. A member here who likes them very kindly sent me some to try, but I still didn’t understand the appeal.

I have a branch of it at my old house. I don’t spray and it didn’t do great, although it also didn’t have the best spot in the canopy.

I do not like sour fruit including apples with high acidity. I like Honey Crisp and has a whole tree !!

My Calville Blanc is not too sour to me. It is a good blend of sour and sweet. Some Gold Rush off the tree are too sour to my liking. Never can tolerate store-bought Granny Smith, either.

1 Like

Mamuang, how deep is your fridge? Every few days you come to us saying you discovered a piece of fruit that was hidden somewhere there… :joy:

8 Likes

Ahmad,
It is not how deep. It is how messy it is :joy:

7 Likes

Funny . . . I had the same thought? Where ‘o’ where did she ‘find’ that apple??? :rofl:

2 Likes

@PomGranny and @Ahmad ,
First, the fridge drawer is full of stuff (a polite way to describe messiness). Secondly, these apples of mine were small to very small. Epi Atoile, (very small), my first Arkansas Black, small, Rubinette, small.

They hid themselves well in that drawer. Or, maybe, I had a magic drawer😂

2 Likes