Apple (fruit only) pictures from your backyard orchards, please

I bought a bag of ashmead’s last year. The entire family loved them. They seem more balanced than other apples, like a good cider. The texture was crunchy then melting…if that makes sense. The skin feels a bit like shark skin, but you don’t notice it in the mouth.

5 Likes

@Sparty , @mamuang - Thank you for the reply with so much details! :slight_smile: Very helpful!

Picked about a dozen Golden Russet in this one gallon bucket. They came off easily. I think they are mature, probably best refrigerated for a few weeks first, but my daughter is eating 3 or 4 a day. She likes them even when they are still starchy.

Hopefully we’ll get to enjoy a few when they are at their best, but they are already good.

20 Likes

Are those English Golden Russet or American Golden Russet?

I believe American. Probably my favorite apple.

1 Like

Mine is American aka Bullock, too. I’ve heard that EGR is sweeter and AGR is more tart.

Well these get really high brix levels, but also have acid and flavor to balance.

2 Likes

Another variety that gets a high praise from @HighandDry who grows this and several other interesting varieties.

@

I will have a taste test on it with several other late ripening ones.

9 Likes

@murky,
These are my American Golden Russet apples. This year they are not as russeted as previous years. Not sure why.

It is a a partial shade location. It is on B9 and has not been not productive. 6 apples on a 4 years old tree.

12 Likes

Sorry to be late to the party, Tipi, but here are a few shots:

My one remaining yellow delicious

Liberty on the left, Karmijn de Sonnaville on the right. The KdS is actually larger than it looks.

Some Prairie Spy

A few Jonagold -really coloring up this year!

Calville Blanc de Hiver, if you can see them.

23 Likes

What were your thoughts on Sergeant Russet?

The quality has not been consistent. I liked the first one I ate. The second was mild, not as good. Some had more russeting than others. The more russeted seemed to be ripened and tasted better.

However, its overall taste is on a milder side (less sweet, less tart, not aromatic) comparing to good Hoople’s Antique Gold from last year.

1 Like

This is a Liberty, McIntosh hybrid.
Has a deep metallic purple color.
A # Geneva hybrid

9 Likes

@marknmt,
Your apples are so clean. It makes me feel like moving to wesrern Montana :grin:

We like it! But be aware, property values are ridiculous - but our house could fund a fair amount of elder care, should it come to that.

We are lucky with disease and insect pressure. I spray heavy dormant oil once in the fall, maybe, and once in the spring, maybe, a light oil spray at bud break, and then spinosad/triazicide or just spinosad during the summer as needed to control codling moth. Sometimes I throw a few tablespoons of of micronised sulpher into the insecticides to control powdery mildew. So far so good …

3 Likes

The price of housing in MA is very ridiculous as well.

The thing that makes Montana less attractive to me is the weather. I am not interested in moving anywhere as cold or colder than where I am now :confounded:

5 Likes

Fabulous!!!

Mam, you haven’t complained about squirrels for a long time. Do you have them under control. My trees would have been stripped.

2 Likes

This year I trapped them early and often. At one point, the rest were quite wary of my yard.

Then, they start stealing fruit again. I feed the birds to distract them. It helps a bit. What more helpful is a sighting of a fox and a couple of cats.

There are never ending supplies of squirrels. It is tiring.

5 Likes

Frostbite, a very good apple. The first of the two fell on 10/17/20. It is a late, small apple.

14 Likes