Apple rootstock for poor soil

Thanks! Looks like the U of M has some good information on their website too for their varieties. I’m planning on doing some grafting next spring and will try to find scions of some of those others.

Could you post some pictures of your vase pruned trees if you have time? That’d be really helpful to see.

This is really interesting, thanks for sharing. I had no idea there were this many different growing systems for apples. I’m learning all kinds of things.

Good point. I’m planning on taking a few soil samples this fall to see where everything is at again. I’m b hoping to take advantage of the low pH and grow some blueberries next year too.

1 Like

Hello,
I am no expert but I do have 20 trees most about 12 years old now.
My soil is sand a clay with a heavy clay subsoil.
All my trees are on mm111 as suggested by the local fruit expert at crop production services.
The only problem is burr knots which really isn’t a problem.
I keep them pruned low enough to avoid ladders using a delayed open center system
My trees did take a long time to bear.
I am in zone 6b

2 Likes

Good idea. My folks’ had 100 acres and there were a couple low spots. Wild blueberries grew well there. Most years the fruit didn’t amount to much due to a lack of moisture, but I’m sure a person could easily grow some nice blueberries with supplemental watering.