Apples 2017

Yeah same here, scab not an issue. I bet you’d like Freedom, pretty care free and precocious, no blight so far. I think it’s a sleeper variety as Liberty gets much more attention, its pollination partner in original release, as I understand it.

I used to grow it in my nursery because 25 years ago it was widely available as a DR apple. I thought it was a good sweet apple without exceptional flavor or texture, but still useful as a DR Red Delicious type. The skin isn’t too thick, which is another plus and it has solid bright red color. Back then I was more receptive to sweets and was still buying apples. Until I tasted my first Baldwin, Mutsu and Fuji were favorite apples, which I bought from a local grower. I still hanker for an occasional sweet, but will probably choose Fuji if I start growing them again for my own storage stash. I do have Jonagold, which is plenty sweet with full flavor, but doesn’t store all that well unless you pick it before full sugar. Freedom is more reliably annual though and easier to train than Fuji. Of course, further south, Freedom may be even sweeter and its disease resistance a bigger plus.

1 Like

I read Fall Pippin likes fertile soil. Not gonna work here!