Apricot Buds Aborting

Yes! I remember several hundred acres of them along Branham Lane and many more elsewhere in the valley.

Browsing through some google search results, it appears that flower bud abortion in apricots is a main component of adaptability under climate conditions which are “not normal” for a given variety, and it’s a genetically transmitted trait.

Here is a review article that analyzes anomalies of apricot bud development at different stages.

1 Like

I noticed the same problem a few days ago to my Summer Delight Aprium. The small tree was planted last year. Most of the buds are blackened and brittle, the tree seems alive though. I don’t expect any fruit just tree growth. I see some signs of this on my Tilton and Blenheim apricot trees, though not really serious. The blossoming seems delayed compared to last year. I suspect this has to do with the large amount of chill hours (some frost) during the past week http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/Weather_Services/chilling_accumulation_models/Chill_Calculators/index.cfm
This is unusual if you compare this chill hour week accumulations to previous years. You should check area nurseries if they have problems with their apricots/apriums. My newly planted nectarines have some of this damage. Next time I will try putting a large blanket/cover over the trees if frost is predicted in the second half Feb. 2018. My flavor delight apriums look unscathed. I also grew up in south San Jose and know the Branham area well, when there were some orchards left, I went to near by Leigh High school,

Attached are some photos from my back yard in East Palo Alto CA…

2 Likes

A few flowers opened on my Tilton today, it’s a week behind the last year.

1 Like