Apricot issue Verticillium Wilt?

And the UC Davis description of symptoms doesn’t at all match the symptoms of what I’ve experienced- including sudden death. Bloom is normal in trees that succumb to what I describe and there are no signs of disease in them that I’ve ever noticed- of course I don’t pay real close attention to the buds. It is the sudden wilting of the leaves and instant death that gets my attention.

No canker- no gummosis- no preceding death of twigs or smaller wood- just sudden death of the entire scion tree and brown cambium tissue throughout. .

You can’t legally treat these things without a label that supports it and I think your hunch may be a bit of a leap.

However, you have inspired me to send a sample to a pathologist next time this happens. Probably won’t find anything.

Have you taken a cutting of a branch to find out if the cambium is brown or not?

1 Like

It is the trunk I cut into.

Sorry I meant strudeldog.

I will check the cambium tomorrow, it was windy here today and they look worse. They are a Orangered and a Golden Sweet. My Tomcot and Robada seem fine. Thanks for the thought you all are putting into this.

1 Like

On sites where this has occurred, this has usually happened to one tree at a time and doesn’t lead to the death of nearby trees- ever (so far). I’ve experienced it at multiple sites including my nursery and the experience goes back over two decades.

Ok I checked cambium on a small branch and a larger branch. Both are still green, but I doubt for long.

I don’t know if that contradicts my experience or not. I have no notes as to the timing I checked wood although it couldn’t have been to far after trees wilted. They have always been trees in other sites than my own.

Here, for about $35 you can have a university pathologist diagnose it. Might be worth the investment.

I am 100% sure that their trees have neither verticilium or monilia, I know very well these diseases.

verticillium,the tree begins to dry by area, from top to bottom, from new branches to trunk, the leaves are never wilted, dried and remain hard and creaky to play them like potato chips

Monilia,a very serious attack on leaves if you can give an icy feeling, but this situation only occurs in very young branches

the latest pictures provided are illuminating, their trees have frost damage, can die a part of the tree or the entire tree can die within a few days (I lost about 10 trees this year).
it is rare that a tree dies in winter, but in spring is different, the tree is weak at the time of bloom and take the first leaves at that time are in a critical state and any frost can kill

also not forget a very significant fact is that the two trees have shown the same symptoms at the same time (it would be much chance that insects or fungi from attacking the same day)

you can help even their trees to survive, make a trench and water your trees with water and a fertilizer rich in amino acids

Please share with us what the basis is for your belief in this product?

well, I’ve never tried this product, I simply searched on the internet an example, a product with amino acids that can be purchased in USA.

it is simply to do what we would do with a human who is sick, give “vitamins” to help heal, amino acids are recommended in situations strees in plants (frost, hail, drought, transplanting, rooting and more situations.

this product if you use it myself almost every year, isabion Syngenta (Monsanto), the PDF file is too large for the translator of google, but we can copy and paste and thoroughly read the benefits of amino acids on fruit trees and how they help the tree to form enzymes and proteins
http://www3.syngenta.com/country/es/sp/cultivos/Documents/material-publicitario/informe-tectnico-isabion.pdf

ON PAGE 26 reads as follows:
Protection against adverse conditions.
A good insurance
In addition to stadiums sprouting, growth, flowering and fruiting applications
Isabión are especially recommended in situations of stress for plants. in these
situations an extra nutritional support and biostimulation are well suited to help
plant recover faster. Among these stressful situations include:
• Frost: with light frosts, with trees in bloom or pre-bloom it has been observed that
pre-freezing applications can reduce the number of damaged flowers. After freezing,
the plant needs a reinforcement for a better and faster recovery. The applications
of Isabión help the plant to recover.
• Hail: after a hail the plant may lose much of its leaf mass produced. For
vegetation recover the plant needs a nutritional stimulation and reinforcement. The applications
of Isabión help the plant recover faster.
• Salinity: Applying Isabión the ground helps neutralize the negative effects of the
salts from the soil or irrigation with saline water. On the other hand, plants vegetate wrong in these
conditions, so both foliar applications and the ground help the plant to vegetate
best.
• Drought: Isabión applications foliar or soil help neutralize the negative effects
that the lack of water causes them. On the other hand, the foliar application creates a barrier
reduces water loss in plant transpiration thanks to the film forming
long chains of peptides (filmogenic effect).
• Damage phytotoxicity: applications
Isabión foliar or soil help neutralize
the negative effects of certain chemical injury
caused by misuse of pesticides
or other. Isabión applications
They help the plant recover faster

Amino acids are proteins. When they decompose nitrogen becomes available to the plant. Plants don’t and can’t directly utilize vitamins for nutrition. So applying amino acids could and probably benefit the plant. But only after they decompose into available nitrogen, either nitrate or ammonium.

I say eat the amino acids yourself and feed the plant cheaper forms of nitrogen, like urine.

forget to say that one of the amino acid called proline and hidroxiproline, if we read page 16 of the document tells us that this amino acid strengthens the cell walls of the tree making stronger their tissues against frost and improve plant resistance by low temperatures

• Regulate the water balance of the plant.
• Improve resilience to situations
low-temperature stress, lack of water or excess
salts.
• Reinforces cell walls making it
resistant tissues.
• Improve pollen fertility

I do not evaluate products based on what the seller suggests. Show me the data!

Over the years I’ve seen so many products come into market with major buzz but the industry often spits them out once they are subjected to independent research. If you have any such research it would be useful.

When a plant is stressed and there are no serious nutritional deficits (most often the case), I’ve been taught that the only thing you can give to a plant that will make any measurable difference in their growth is readily available nitrogen and that is what is usually recommended for trees needing to grow out of an infection or other serious set-back.

In the case of the trees being discussed here- they are already as good as dead.

There are two sorts of this fungus, M. laxa and M. fructicola. We get both in the US but the latter (“brown rot”) is the usual problem. The former is often called European brown rot in the US.

I doubt it is M. laxa, but its not impossible. Its too cold this time of year for a major M. fruicticola infection.

2 Likes