Apricot Suggestions for Northeast?

Who here is growing apricots in the Northeast? I love apricots so much, but I know they have the deck stacked against them here. From my reading here and elsewhere, I get the impression that Tomcot and the Har- series might be my best bets. Are there any other varieties I should consider? Or any other factors, such as rootstock, siting, pruning, etc? My preference is for non-sweet pit varieties (we have many, many squirrels), but I’m willing to consider whatever works.

i just put in a adirondack gold from st. lawrence nurseries last spring. I’m in n maine z3b. its put on over a foot of new growth over the summer. time will tell if it produces or not. supposedly produces well in z3 in upstate NY where the original tree was found…

1 Like

There is a similar thread to this one, you can refer to it, link below:

3 Likes

Ah, thank you. I’d looked around for a thread, but hadn’t found the one you linked to.

2 Likes

Westcot
M604
Debbies Gold
Precious
Montrose

But several might only be available in Canada

1 Like

I miss this beauty from when I lived in Kansas:
(google street view link)
Fruited massively every year, small delicious apricots. Somehow always managed to miss peak ripening as it went from not quite ready to all on the sidewalk in about a week.

3 Likes

an apricot fruiting every year, or even half as often… in Kansas?

1 Like

Yeah, this tree was super reliable for the four years I lived there. If you zoom in on the street view from June of this year, you can see fruit on the branches. So that’s at least 5 out of the last 6. No idea what variety, or if was just a chance seedling. There were also several other trees just around, probably seedlings that weren’t intentionally planted, but they weren’t as reliable.

2 Likes