Asian Climbing Zucchini

we grew a stubby red daikon type radish that looks similar to those. not sure if they were “mu”, but probably korean

2 Likes

Daikon are usually a part of my mixed species cover crop mixes and when they bolt in the spring I like the small leaves from the flower shoots, the flowers and especially the seed pods to toss in salads. You can get pods faster from growing rat tail radishes, but I like the daikon pods better because they seem juicier and milder. The only problem is I can’t always let the daikon go enough to get pods since I need the beds for spring crops. I do a quick pickle of the roots sometimes for sandwiches, etc.

I’ll have to find some of the mu type to try.

2 Likes

Many places use mu, daikon, or other Asian radishes to break up heavy soils by their roots for farming.

1 Like

I’m thinking of growing them for my no dig soil, they do their own digging.

2 Likes

Same with carrots.

1 Like

@Shibumi
Yes, I think one of the members here @amadioranch posted pics of his very healthy looking daikon he grew to loosen the soil.

Hope we all consider moving growing exotic veggies that are not zucchni to this growing unusual vegetable thread.

2 Likes

they grow alot bigger and have a milder taste than other radish ive tried. im normally not a radish fan but love these!

2 Likes

Pickled is the way to go I’d say…

2 Likes

Honestly, these radish/daikon varieties they stink to high heaven, even for people who eat them. Have them in your fridge is guaranteed foul smell for weeks, or months, thanks but no thanks.

I’ve never noticed any smell at all from them unless I’ve made kimchi with them

1 Like

not the Mu. i have 4 mason jars of them fermented into kimchi in the fridge and they smell much better than cabbage kimchi. very mild flavor compared to other radishes.

3 Likes

Where do you get the seeds from?

If you are asking about daikon and mu seeds, try True Leaf Market. They have a lot of Asian vegetables and I’ve used them a lot.

2 Likes

Thanks, I think this is a radish and not a daikon, I go to the Korean supermarket frequently, I’ll see if I can get this variety there.

1 Like

see Shibumi’s pic of them above. they are about the size of a beet. got my seeds off Esty. they are in the daikon family. one of the most most popular radishes grown in Korea.

1 Like

ive seen farmers grow daikon to loosen our clay soil here. the waterfowl absolutely love them!

1 Like

Both mu and daikon are radishes.

The photo of my daikon is close to the store size. The photo of my mu is quite a bit smaller than commercially grown mu. They are really large and fat.

2 Likes

They probably sell them at the Korean store but sometime I’m afraid to buy one, they are so big.

They don’t have much flavor by themselves so look up some recipes to see if you want one as part of it.

It’s often pickled or made into a diced kimchi banchan (side dish).

The greens are used to make a fresh kimchi.

It’s used to make broths and as an ingredient in stews

2 Likes

Thanks for this interesting thread! I’m trying Trombocino and kabocha squash this year. Might try some of these others in future years.

1 Like