Asian Climbing Zucchini

Thanks for this interesting thread! I’m trying Trombocino and kabocha squash this year. Might try some of these others in future years.

1 Like

has anyone tried letting these asian summer type moschatas mature into winter squash? I understand theyre pretty good, though I havent tried them. At this rate, were going to be letting a fair number of them ripen. Weve been eating avocado squash out of the high for ~ the last 3 weeks. Their vigor is impressive.

I would like to address the issue of powdery mildew. I water my squash plants every morning and I never have a problem with powdery mildew. I view that disease like the common cold–it is everywhere but it only affects the plant when it is stressed so I water every morning–not the afternoon or evening–just the morning. It works for my cucumbers, too.

2 Likes

It depends on the location, I never had problem with mildew until I came to this house. Maybe my house is more in the shade and very tight, so when my husband puts up his sun umbrella it covers the squash plants. I water them everyday too. But in the last few days I’ve been spraying them with milk and water, they seem to go away, but now I have ants around the blossoms.

I didn’t eat them myself, but when some got ahead of me, particularly the avocado shaped one, I would give them to my neighbor at the community garden who was Bangladeshi. He said they used them just like the large bottle gourds, scooping out the seeds and cubing up the outside. They were easily the size of volleyballs when I was giving them away, but seemed to be at the point of stopping growing and beginning to harden up. So they were mature in size, but not matured like you would let a winter squash get to.

Sorry, that’s all I have for info, but I’m curious how they’ll taste as winter squash as well. My thought was that they were probably going to be like a lesser butternut (just like Tromboncino is as a winter squash), so I preferred to give them away since I had plenty of butternut growing at the same time.

Please report back if you try them in the mature state.

1 Like

Are these seeds Mu? They are from the seed rack at my local Korean supermarket

Is this Mu? Picture from the same supermarket

1 Like

Yes… The bottom seed package in the middle. Fat one.

For me I’ve planted them in the late fall and harvested spring. They laugh off our milf freezes in the mid 20’s here, but we very rarely have more than overnight freezes.

You can also do a camera app for translating the Korean text

2 Likes

Thanks, next time I will get a packet, beats paying for shipping charge.

2 Likes

they are easy to grow. they love lots of compost and loose soil. they grow great in pots too. i grew mine in washtubs in my grow room over winter.

1 Like

Thanks @steveb4, I’m going to broadcast them, hopefully they will grow big so they can dig in to the dirt like parsnips, carrots, and artichokes.

1 Like