Asian pear—what is this?

Annie,
I am not worried about that blackened leaves. It could get beaten up by strong wind like @JamesWNY said or frost bite, etc.

I’d be more concerned about the 2nd pic of blacked limb. Keep an eye on that.

1 Like

A little black on leaves is typically just wind or other environmental damage. It particularly happens to new growth. If its fireblight or scab etc you know quickly because it spreads. Pear branch tips hit with fireblight need broke off asap. One picture could be fb but its out of focus and i cant tell. This is fireblight Late season Fireblight

3 Likes

For my Asian pears as spring progressed and trees began to wake up the cold injury became more evident. At first only the terminal buds and flower buds were dark black and soft. As spring progressed more and more areas showed evidence of cold injury.

My younger Asian pears only pushed new buds from below the snow line so I cut them back hard much like markalbobs images above. My hosui basically died to the ground and with my chojuro the trunk is alive and there are signs of dormant buds starting to push out.

Even my Euro pears are mostly only pushing leaves on the one year old growth. All the spurs and buds on older growth shows no signs of life. Hopefully they’ll recover and leaf out further later spring or early summer.

As for the blackened leafs I wouldn’t worry about fireblight so much mainly since the weather has been so cold. One possibility since it has been so wet and cold is a fungus that didn’t normally effect pears, like maybe anthracnose. Check on any other trees (particularly shade trees) in the neighborhood and see if they have similar leaf symptoms.

2 Likes

Clark, I cut all the spurs to their main stems and sprayed with Bonide copper. This is first time I am alert of Fieblight. I sprayed all my trees with copper every spring before bud break. I did so earlier this year as well. The difference in this year is the copper product, I am getting lazy and used Bonide copper. In the past several years I always mixed my own Bordeaux. Maybe my mix was stronger in copper, I didn’t have fieblight on my pear trees.
Another thing I want to ask you about. On the same tree , I grafted Mishirasu asian pear. It grew well with developed three branches and flower buds this year. About a week ago, I noticed one branch seems stopped growing, its flower buds just stopped developing. About 2 days ago, I saw leafs on another branch all droopy and curved inwards. The leafs acted like they reserved the process of growing out. Today the leafs perked up a little but still are not completely extended out. All the leafs are green. My question is what might be the cause of the leafs loss vigor , or where should I look for the possible cause of this problem?
This is the picture of the branch. it looks better than yesterday

2 Likes

Clark, the branch wilting again this morning when sun is out

1 Like

That damage appears to be from excess water or rapid growth / or insects. I had the same thing happen in this thread where i tbudded a pear T-budding tutorial. It grew out of it in time but at first i thought it was signs of the graft failing.
This was with the sun

this was without the sun

Hi Annie,
Only one of the three branches from this one graft looks like this like? The other two from the same graft are healthy?

Tippy, one looks ok, the other two look wilting. On the picture, the lower one with flowers is the one branch that looks ok so far

Looks like some kind of incompatibility issue, but why the rest of 10 plus cultivars that were grafted onto the same tree are OK ?

I am not as optimistic as Clark’s. I also think it’d be grafting compatibility. What’s the variety of the mother?

Unknown seeding

1 Like

Do the leaves perk back up at night? If its excessive new growth problems the leaves wont be as wilted in the morning but wilt again from the hot sun.

Clark, I will check the leafs tonight

1 Like

I finally found out the problem. There is some issue, dark area, around base of each branches.I cut two branches off and leave the one still alive. Hopefully that branch survives. Here is the picture. It doesn’t look like FB, but what else it could be?

I wish I could give you a definitive answer but my 3 guesses would be fireblight, psuedomonas, or cold injury. If you want to now for sure, you could look into your local University extension to see if they have a pathogen identification service.

3 Likes

Your suggestion is helpful.thank you

1 Like

We moved into a house 2 1/2 years ago the first year we had pear. Last year we had none somebody told us we had a pests

so we treated it with Neem oil, this year I see this on the park can somebody tell me what it is and what I need to do

That is fireblight in my opinion @markalbob

Remind me of scales. Can you scratch on them and see what happened. Usually, for scales, trees are sprayed with oil during a dormant stage.

1 Like

Yes I agree with Tippy. They look like scales

1 Like