Asian pear—what is this?

Tippy, one looks ok, the other two look wilting. On the picture, the lower one with flowers is the one branch that looks ok so far

Looks like some kind of incompatibility issue, but why the rest of 10 plus cultivars that were grafted onto the same tree are OK ?

I am not as optimistic as Clark’s. I also think it’d be grafting compatibility. What’s the variety of the mother?

Unknown seeding

1 Like

Do the leaves perk back up at night? If its excessive new growth problems the leaves wont be as wilted in the morning but wilt again from the hot sun.

Clark, I will check the leafs tonight

1 Like

I finally found out the problem. There is some issue, dark area, around base of each branches.I cut two branches off and leave the one still alive. Hopefully that branch survives. Here is the picture. It doesn’t look like FB, but what else it could be?

I wish I could give you a definitive answer but my 3 guesses would be fireblight, psuedomonas, or cold injury. If you want to now for sure, you could look into your local University extension to see if they have a pathogen identification service.

3 Likes

Your suggestion is helpful.thank you

1 Like

We moved into a house 2 1/2 years ago the first year we had pear. Last year we had none somebody told us we had a pests

so we treated it with Neem oil, this year I see this on the park can somebody tell me what it is and what I need to do

That is fireblight in my opinion @markalbob

Remind me of scales. Can you scratch on them and see what happened. Usually, for scales, trees are sprayed with oil during a dormant stage.

1 Like

Yes I agree with Tippy. They look like scales

1 Like

Like @mamuang said @Angandbo that does look like scale.

1 Like

How do I treat it and will scale harm the tree?

Oh yeah, it sucks all the juicy out of the poor tree. Go to home Depot, Lowe, they have some systmic pesticides that can drench the soil to get rid of these nasty little things

1 Like

Will neem oil work? Should I dilute it? Spray the entire tree?

no , neem oil not very effective at this stage

Ok thank you! What do u suggest?

I don’t remember what was used that is why I didn’t specifically tell you the name, bought/ used. too many chemicals that clogging the mind. Ask the people who works at the store which one is for scale on the tree. The systemic works the best which can control the bug for a long time, enur the bugs do not come back